Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Would like to make a baby sweater

socks
15 years ago

I hae some DK weight yarn and would like to attempt a baby sweater. I saw this one on Lion Brand

Comments (8)

• socks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sorry...pushed submit before I was ready.

• pandora429
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Which pattern are you looking at?? Is it knit or crochet??
    I have some patterns, if you want let me know!!(they are in knit)
    Marlene

• socks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought I reposted but don't see it now.

It's knit, Pandora. I've never knit a sweater before, and even so consider myself beginner to intermediate as a knitter.

I found a Lion Brand pattern which looks easy enough (link below). Is it all one piece? I'm unsure about something in the early part of the pattern where it says for sleeve shaping to increase 1 at the end of each row. What kind of increase would I do?

The sweater looks a little bulky under the arms, maybe because it's knit in one piece, and I was wondering if anyone here has a pattern or a link to a pattern they think is better. I have DK weight yarn. I could knit with two strands because I have a lot of it.

Many thanks.

Susan

• pandora429
    15 years ago

Susan,
    if you can post your addy, will send you some from sidar.
    I dont know how easy or hard they are, unfortunately i do not knit :( my mother in law and friends have been sharing their wonderful stashes..my addy is
    mama40@gmail.com if you prefer it that way..
    marlene

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Socks,

The sleeve is shaped by making it wider by increasing the number of stitches with the increase and doing an increase every so many rows according to the instructions. If you know how to knit, purl, cast on and cast off, believe me, you can make a baby sweater. We can help you understand any questions about your pattern. And there are internet sites with instructional clips about how to do each stitch or procedure. I increase usually by knitting twice into the stitch. But you can make one [M1] by making a tight 180 degree twist of yarn on your needle too. Some people prefer to pick up the yarn between the stitches, put it on the needle and increase that way.

So go ahead and try the pattern.

• Lindsey_CA
    15 years ago

There's a free pattern for a baby sweater on the Lion Brand web site that is possibly the easiest sweater to knit in the entire world. Entirely garter stitch (knit every row), and you don't do any increases or decreases at all. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Glamour Baby's First Cardigan

• socks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, everyone. Not sure which I'll start.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Then try the Baby Surprise Jacket. Every stitch is knit except the last row which is cast off in purl. You need to increase by M1 and decrease and follow the directions carefully. Each sleeve has one seam when you are done, but otherwise you do not need to sew seams.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz
More Discussions