Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

A couple of hats for my new grandbaby

donna_loomis
16 years ago

I've been madly knitting socks and hats for Exaiden, my 2 month old grandson. Here are two of his mother's favorites.

Comments (10)

• mamalo3
    16 years ago

wow...what beautiful work....i don't knit wish i did...just crochet for me....i think they are done with perfection. great job......lois

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

So cute. I like to make the apple hat, but suddenly nearly 10 month old grandson will not keep a hat on his head. It takes him just one second to knock it off. Good thing he lives in southern California.

• kareen
    16 years ago

Congratulations on the grandbaby, love the hats. Kareen

• trudymom
    16 years ago

Congratulations on your new grandbaby. The hats are gorgeous--lucky baby!

• Carol_Ann
    16 years ago

Those hats are great, Donna! They're really sweet and beautifully done. What pattern did you use?

Enjoy your new grandson!

• jenn
    16 years ago

Beautiful! They look so warm and cozy.

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol Ann, this was a free pattern I found on the internet, but for the life of me I cannot seem to locate the site anymore. Here is the pattern:

Knit this in the round on #7 dpn's using worsted weight yarn. Gauge is 4 st per inch

Earflaps, make 2
    Cast on 3 st
    kfb in first st of each row and knit remainder of st until you have 15 st.
    Leave a 12 in tail and place on holder or dpn

With working yarn purl across first earflap begining at opposite end as tail. With the tail in front and working yarn to the back cast on 13 st using long tail method. Now, purl across second earflap as done with the first one. Cast on 21 st as before.
    Join and work three rounds in garter st. switch to St st and work until hat measures 5 in.

Decreases:
    Round 1: K6, k2tog
    Round 2 and all even rows: K
    Round 3: K5, k2tog
    Round 5: K4, k2tog
    Continue in this manner until you have 4 st remaining, k one round. Break yarn leaving a 6 inch tail, using a yarn needle draw the tail thru all remaining stiches to finish.

I added the ties and the seed stitch chevrons. It's such an easy pattern.

• HiDiane
    16 years ago

Lovely work :) The addition of the seed stitch was a great idea and looks so "little boy"

Diane

• craftfetish
    16 years ago

Those are adorable - I have a nephew coming in December and have been frantically hat-making as well.

The chevron pattern is just lovely - and perfect for a little boy.

(congrats on the new grandbaby!)

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

• Carol_Ann
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting the pattern! I don't have any babies to knit for but I'm hoping that'll change. There are so many cute patterns -- I may have to make some baby things and donate them, if nothing else!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions