Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knitting Toe Up on Cable needles

Posted by mistressofwinter46 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 07 at 17:56

Hi Dose any one out there now of a good pattern that i can use to lean how too know socks toe up and on 2 cable Needles that has photos and instruction that is easy too flow i have looked and looked and searched and printed out a bunch but none realy shows how too do the Heel and Gusets very good. and some fo the directions abrevation are confusing and i don't know what they mean. can any one help me please
Thanks Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knitting Toe Up on Cable needles

Do you mean 2 circular needles? If so, I learned from the link below. You can also get Cat Bordhi's book "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles". Heels and gussets are easier to do on 2 circulars. You have half the stitches (the instep stitches) resting while you work on the other half (the sole sitches) for the heel. When you're done turning the heel, you just continue knitting all the stitches in the round for the cuff. Much easier than re-arranging stitches on double pointed needles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Socks on 2 circulars

o
RE: Knitting Toe Up on Cable needles

I have been knitting on a single circular needle--48" long. I recently saw a really good demonstration of doing the heel/gussets on the DIY network. Here's a link for that: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3484730,00.html

Unfortunately, it's a sock knit from the top down to the toe. I'll keep my eyes open for working in the other direction. I KNOW I have bookmarked a couple toe-up patterns...maybe they explain it better. I will let you know.
Laurel

Here is a link that might be useful: heel/gusset instructions; top-down

o
RE: MOre toe-up on circular needles

Sorry for the quick re-post...here's one other link. It IS a toe-up pattern. To change it to 2 circulars, I would just take the 2 resting needles & consider that your second circular...knit the other parts on the one circular needle (like using 2 straight needles) and rejoin at the ankle.
Hope that helps...if not, let me know. I can do some other searching. (Mainly because I want to do this in the future!! It will help ME to have this stuff bookmarked too!)

Laurel

Here is a link that might be useful: toe-up pattern...heel/gusset help??

o
RE: PICTURES for heel/Gusset!

Hi,
Yeah, me again! When I get going on something...I go! I FOUND exactly what you asked for! The link for the first part is below. At the bottom, you will find clickable links for the heel, heel2, leg & cast off. MANY CLOSE, GOOD pictures....

Hope this REALLY helps!!
Laurel

Here is a link that might be useful: toe up, 2 circular needles, with PICTURES!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here