Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boucle for a man's scarf?

Posted by nancybc (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 07 at 17:46

HI,
I picked up a ton of Bernats's Illusions Yarn in Gem Stones which, to me, is very masculine in the color scheme- deep reds, greens and blues. However, the texture is like a boucle so I'm wondering if I should stick to smooth textured yarns for men's scarves instead. Do men like and wear the boucle type yarns or is this yarn more on the feminine and young boys side?
Looking forward to your opinions before I goof on a gift or two!
Thanks!
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boucle for a man's scarf?

My opinion on this (and don't hate me if the men in your life disagree!:-), is that if you knit a plain scarf, no fancy stitches, you can get away with the semi-boucle texture. I would also say, the younger the guy, the more he will find it appealing.

o

Of course, this is strictly a personal preference, but I wouldn't use boucle for a man's scarf. I feel the fellas in my life would think it too feminine....I tend to stick to plain colors, with diffent stitches, OR stripes or plaids in dark colors.

o

Thanks ladies,
That's what I thought too- but- I'm not up on the latest trends so I'm glad I checked it out. I started to knit with the Illusions and hate it so I'll find some nice chunky or sport weight and go with a can't miss traditional scarf.
Thanks again for taking the time to give me your honest opinions.
Nancy

o

Nancy, I'm knitting my husband a scarf using Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in color Wheat, using size 10 (6.0 mm) needles. He chose the pattern and wanted a wide scarf in a neutral color.

Here is the pattern. Scroll down to the bottom... it's the turquoise ribbed scarf in "Sinful" (the yarn name?).

This is a nice-looking, thick, chunky, masculine scarf. The yarn I'm using makes the ribs appear thicker/chunkier than the blue one in the photo. It is easy, attractive and I'd definitely use it again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here