Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Learning how to crochet for lefties

Posted by galladin (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 17, 10 at 17:11

I learned how to crochet a few years back and I would like to know what peoples biggest question is on how to learn to crochet for left handed people. I am considering teaching family and friends and would like to learn peoples biggest questions on the subject. Thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Learning how to crochet for lefties

It would depend on what they want to make. I can crochet with either hand, DD is right handed but crochet's left handed. Who taught her? Me, and I do it right handed! If they are only going to make dishcloths or afghans, it shouldn't make a huge difference. Follow the pattern exactly as written. If they are making a garment, it might make a difference, might be reversed. I can't help with that, as I have never crocheted a garment.

Tami

o

Thanks for the quick reply. I have taught people how to crochet that are right handed it just more patients. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated thanks. :)

o

I am left-handed and I never have problems with pattern instructions. Like Tami says, if you have different shaping on the sides (like a cardigan sweater would have) you just read the left side pattern as the right side and vice versa.

If you're a righty just teaching lefties, sit across from them instead of beside them...that way your movements are going the same way theirs are. That's how my mom taught me tatting & embroidery.

I think people get freaked out about teaching lefties, and it usually turns out to not be a big deal! You can do it!

Donna

o

I used the book 123 crochet by leisure arts as it had great left handed photos of the stitches. Also used these left handed videos which helped. Then after a bit I realized I am just doing the opposite of right handed and got the hang of it all. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Left handed videos

o

Here are some more excellent LH tutorials - video and verbal, slow motion :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Left-handed tutorials on YouTube

o

i'm a lefty, i learned from my mom who is right handed...i learned by watching her in a mirror or sitting across from her. there are youtube videos that help when i have issues. I have a few issues here and there with making things, but usually can fudge it along, its usually not the pattern, its my inexperience. just have patience! :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here