Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! w/crocheting

Posted by gardenway (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 31, 08 at 17:11

I'm crocheting a hat in the round - ch 3 (counts as first dc) and I join with sl st to top of ch 3

THEN I get to a turning rnd for the cuff:

ch 1, sc in front loop only of each dc around; JOIN, TURN
Where do I join - in the first sc, and then do a sc in same st to begin the next round? Or do I join in the ch 1

and don't I do ch 1 before turning - reads join, TURN,.....then (next row) ch 1, sc in both loops of each sc around; join

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! w/crocheting

Ideally, you would join into the top of the sc. Apparently they do not have you do a ch1 at the beginning of the next row. Actually, you could do it either way with doing a sc next or a ch1 and then a sc. Try it both ways for a few stitches and see which look you prefer. If it looks too crowded there with a ch1 and sc, then do just the sc.

o

sheilajoyce - my previous post was confusing to me :-) I'll try to be more clear:

rnds 4 though 8:
ch 3, dc in each dc; join (join in top of ch 3)

rnd 9 (turning rnd):
ch 1, sc in front lp only of each dc around; join (join where?), TURN

rnd 10:
ch 1, sc in both lps of each sc; join (join where?)

rnds 11 though 13:
repeat rnd 10

o
sheilajoyce - another question

also meant to say, when I do the rnds of dc, I have 36 stitches (ch 3 counts as first dc)

when I turn and do the rnd of sc, I'll have fewer stitches for that rnd?

o

You join to the first stitch of that round whenever it says join. Use a slip stitch. Do you know what a slip stitch is?

You will have 36 sc too because you will do a sc in each dc including one sc in the turning ch3.

Hope this helps.

o
RE: Help! w/crocheting PS

Back to your earlier questions, when you join in the first stitch, that join just connects the stitches side by side, not on top to make a new row. Then you ch1 to go up for the next row, then you sc in that first stitch of the row below. You can do the ch1 and then turn, which is what I usually do, or turn and then do the ch1.

o

I know what a slip stitch is and I know how to join (for 8 rounds I had been joining with a slip stitch in the top of ch 3). The sc round begins with ch 1 and I didn't know whether to join in this/beginning ch 1 or the first sc when at the end of the round.
It probably doesn't make much difference either way, I just wondered which would be correct or best.
Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here