Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a yarn suggestion

Posted by acraftylady (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 16:29

A friend is knitting a pattern that is a dress with a shrug over it. Here is what the shurg looks likes. It's done in Joanne's sensations self striping breeze yarn. We are trying to find a solid like in coral or maybe yellow for the dress that would match as the breeze does not have anything in solid to match. It's a 3 light yarn. The second photo is not the exact color she is using but wanted to show what this type of yarn looks like, kind of twisty. Would appreciate any suggestions I can pass along. Mary

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a yarn suggestion

I don't think I'd want to try to match any of those colors as it will look too much like a lollipop....I'd rather see a white dress against which the colors in the shrug will really stand out....

o

I agree!

o

We put it up against a white knitted swatch and we didn't care for it but I will suggest that again. It really does look nice next to the right shade coral. This yarn does not come in white only self stripping so either way we need to find something in a 3 light for the dress if she does go with white. I only work with worsted weight for prayer shawls so I am cluelss as to what's out there online she can order. Mary

o

Ok, I didn't realize the dress was going to be knitted also. Without doing a search, if I remember right, JoAnn's Sensations is 100% acrylic. Hershnerrs and Mary Maxim should both have something in acrylic, and will have the weight designations you need to compare. 3 Light is just below a regular 4 medium worsted like you use for the prayer shawls. In fact, any of the online yarn suppliers should be able to help with the weight designation. You may even find the coral you are looking for . I hope this helps and you can find what you are looking for.

Tami

o
RE: Need a yarn suggestion...

I forgot to mention, tho you probably already know. As long as you use acrylic yarn, you don't need to use the same brand yarn for the other garment. I think Bernat also makes a crinkly yarn similar to what you have posted. They may even have a coral that would work, now that I think about it. Check their web site. You may be able to order directly from them, but I'm not sure.

Tami

o

Ok will check and see if they have a 3 light that is similar, thanks. Mary

o

The breeze yarn is 72% acrylic, 20% Cotton, 8% Nylon so not all acrylic. We will have to try and hit some yarn stores in the area. I checked all the craft stores yesterday and nothing comparible in that color. Haven't looked to see what knit picks has yet. Mary

o

Take a look at the KnitPicks site. They sell all kinds of yarns and the pictures are very good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here