Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggie5il

Magic Loop Sock Knitting

maggie5il
17 years ago

I'm considering signing up for a class to learn to knit socks by the Magic Loop method. The class does not teach you to knit two at a time, just one at a time on a circular needle from what I can tell. I asked the lady what the benefit was and she said oh you don't have to mess with those double point needles - it's the absolute best way now to knit socks.

Anyone know anything about this? It's still one sock at a time! Knitting socks on dp needles doesn't bother me once you get a few rounds going. Is it worth $40 to learn the magic loop method? What's better about it?

Comments (11)

• debbeeanne
    17 years ago

In my opinion, any time you can learn a new technique, it helps you overall in knitting. So I would go for it! By the way, here is a link to a technique for knitting two socks at a time, toe up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Two at a Time, Toe Up

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

I haven't actually used this method to make socks - yet. But I've played with it and I can tell you that I will definitely use it next time I knit socks. But I don't think it's necessary to take a $40 class to learn it. There is an extremely informational video available at the link I'm posting. Near the top of the page you will see "small diameter circular knitting". Click on the icon to the left of "on two circular needles" and you will see just how easy it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: magic loop

• lawmar
    17 years ago

I'm no expert at knitting socks. To be honest with you, I have knitted about 4 pairs and I still think it's a challenge. I most always have this little hole at the heel gusset where I pick up the stitches. Frustrating! But I bought Cat Bordhi's book "Socks Soar on 2 Circular Needles" and I followed her directions and I did come out with a sock. Frankly, I don't see where it was any easier than using dpn's. I forget about knitting socks for awhile and work on something else, but I am always tempted to try again. Want to get it perfect. I learned how to knit socks off the internet - royea.net - and have also bought books on the subject. I don't know anyone who knits or anyone to show me, so I have to learn on my own. I've been thinking of starting another pair now though, maybe someday I'll end up with the perfect pair - or maybe I'm just being too critical of my self.

• threejsmom
    17 years ago

Magic loop is my favorite way to knit socks and other small circumferences like hats and sleeves. You can do 2 socks a time with ML but I only do one since it's my take-along project and its not so portable with 2 socks and 2 balls of yarn. I agree with Donna that it probably isn't worth it to take the class since there are web resources. There's a book by Bev Galeskas called Magic Loop but I don't think you need it if you are familiar with knitting socks and just want to learn a different method. Get some good 40 inch circulars like Addi or the new Knitpicks Options which have smooth joins and flexible cables. Here's the site I learned from:

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic loop

• feedingfrenzy
    17 years ago

I strongly prefer knitting socks on cirular needles instead of dps. It seemed the dps were always falling on the floor or into the sofa cushions.

I also use Cat Borhu's method, which use two smaller cirulars to knit one sock at a time. I know it's also possible to knit two at a time, but I don't know the technique.

The Magic Loop way also looks better than using dps, but I think 40 bucks is a mighty lot to have to pay for a class to learn it.

• TommeCA
    17 years ago

I have just finished my second of a five-class series on making socks using either two circulars or the magic loop method. The class was advertised as "toe-up on two circulars or magic loop method." I paid $80. for the class (10 hours of instruction, limited to 6 participants). I have the Magic Loop booklet and the Soaring on Circulars book, but never got off the ground on my own - I much prefer demonstration - it just sinks in better. Now that I've had the class, the books make sense, so I'll be able to pick it up months/years from now and be able to do it on my own.

I decided to make one sock using each method to see what I liked best (and to make sure that I finish the pair at the same time). At this point, I prefer the method using two circulars a little better - I feel like I have a little more control, and that I'm less likely to pull the needles out of my stitches.

I have already finished one pair of socks in the class, and so I will be starting another pair this week. This time, I am going to try to knit two socks on circulars at the same time.

I think $40. is real money, but if you get a good pattern out of the class, and someone to really help you along, it may be money well spent. I have found that one of the great advantages to taking a class is meeting other knitters and picking up general tips.

• mskeetpod
    17 years ago

Hi All,
    Seems to be very time consuming. I watched the video.Theye realy do make knitting Socks complicated.
    I use 5 bamboo 2.5 - 5 inch DP needles to do my socks. Works great.
    Trudy

• tami_ohio
    17 years ago

I do all my socks Magic Loop! I am constantly dropping the double points down the chair or in the car between the seats. Also, I find it faster than using dbl pnts because you don't change needles as often which saves time. I also don't have to worry about all those needles falling/or getting pulled out when I take it everywhere with me, as socks are something that I stuff in a purse or tote bag to take everywhere I go, so when I have to wait for a train, in a dr. office, ect. I have time to work on a sock. I have not yet figured out how to do two socks on one set of needles, whether magic loop or on two shorter circulars, which I have also used before learning magic loop. I have also tried making socks on 12" circulars and find that my fingers cramp more, but it takes up less room when traveling.

As for getting two socks finished at the same time, I have 2 sets of 40" circulars and start both socks at the same time so that they get started at the same point in the yarn pattern with the new self-striping yarns. If I am using a 100 gm ball, I re-wind the yarn on my yarn winder, using a digital kitchen scale to evenly divide the yarn. And if you work on each sock a few inches at a time, both are finished almost similtainiously. I also find that if I do one sock at a time, I get bored by the time I have to start the second sock, the "I'm not done YET!" sindrome! If I do them both at the same time, even tho it still takes me the same amount of time to make them, it doesn't SEEM like it!

If you learn well from a book, spend the $5 for the book and figure it out on your own, it's really easy. And that comes from one who does not learn well from a book. I usually need to be shown. If you learn better by seeing, spend the $40 for the class if it's something you really want to try. It is a technique that you can use for hats and sleeves, also, not just socks.

Tami

• dizadncr
    14 years ago

I am taking a Magic Loop sock class tomorrow. I knit socks 30 years ago on dpns but haven't tried since. I need to rewind my 100 gram ball of yarn and i'm wondering what the best scale is for weighing yarn. What do you all use?

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

Lawmar, that hole you get. Just pick up a one or couple of more stitches so that there is no hole. Then when you decrease, just decrease down to the right number of stitches for the foot. That extra stitch you pick up won't change a thing, but it will fill in that hole.

• donna_loomis
    14 years ago

Since posting in this thread a couple of years ago, I did learn to do magic loop. I had previously used the two circular method. In my opinion, there's not much difference. I do now use magic loop method. Depends on what I'm doing and what I have available to me at the time. I think it's good to know both.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz
More Discussions