Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of yarn best for dishcloths?

Posted by dcrowex (dcrowex@aol.com) on
Fri, Oct 23, 09 at 15:20

I have so much leftover yarn, I was going to do up some of these. I see tons of patterns, BUT, what kind of yarn to use? Maybe what I have is not suitable to keep getting wet. I have just the regular balls of yard and somehow that does not seem like that would work. Comments please?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of yarn best for dishcloths?

I use peaches and cream cotton yarn or lily sugar and cream cotton yarn for dishclothes and pot holders. Lion brand also has cotton yarn and if you have a hobby lobby by you there I love this cotton is really nice. Mary

o

I also use "The Original Sugar 'n Cream' made by Lily. It's 100% cotton ond one ball (2 oz.) is more than enough for one potholder. I buy it at Michaels. It happens to be made in Canada.

o

The best yarn for dishcloths is 100% cotton - due to its absorbency. And the 100% cotton examples given previously by Mary and Jannie are all fine for dishcloths.
I've read that yarn with as little as 51% cotton as a component will do. But I have not tried anything other than 100% cotton - for a dishcloth.

What I use my other, regular balls of yarn for is afghan squares - whether they are all acrylic, all wool or a blend of both.
I knit 8 inch by 8 inch blanket squares with different dishcloth patterns and then sew them together. Each square is a short project and it doesn't take long to knit a lot of them. (My afghans vary between are 6 or 7 squares wide and 7 or 8 squares long.)

Jane2 here (Janey elsewhere)

o

I also use the Lily Sugar 'n Cream yarn for dishcloths. I buy it at Michael's or A C Moore. Every Sunday they have a coupon in the newspaper for 40% off one item.

o

I use all sorts of leftover yarn. I have dish cloths I made four years ago and the more they are used and laundered, they are just better. I've even used baby yarn for one.It worked fine.

o

I use Sugar and Cream. I recently tired I Love Cotton and it was way to soft and people didn't like them at the craft shows either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here