Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baleen needles

Posted by sandra_ferguson (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 15:14

Iris, I went to Joann's today and found the Baleen needles...got a couple pairs and came home and tried them...and, I think I'm in love! Now I want to know why ALL needles aren't like this on the tip? Anyway, does anyone know of circular needles with tips like this? And, do you think I could file down and then sand smooth, wooden circular needles? I'm willing to give it a try if there aren't any circulars like it. Gee, I REALLY like them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baleen needles

Looks like they do make circular needles: Balene Needles

o

Yup......I, too, found some on line. I think I'll have to put them on my Christmas wish list. I really do like those pointy tips.

o

I like the tips but noticed that they don't work well with yarns that split easily -- the small pointy tip that allows them to slide right into a stitch also allows them to slide right into the yarn -- just something to be aware of.

Happy knitting!

o
RE: Baleens

I hadn't thought of that, but see how it could happen. However, I generally work just with pretty straightforward wool yarn, so the problem shouldn't arise often, for me. Sometimes, though, I use a second, decorative yarn with the wool, so I'd better keep away from the Baleens on those occasions.

o

I assume you are talking about the concave tip shape, which is my favorite too. Another brand of needles that has these tip is Bryspun, and they are available in lots of circular sizes, called Bry-Flex. They are pearl gray and have a very nice feel. I've found them at lille yarn shops.

o

I just got a pair of size 13 Balene needles, and I don't like them at all...what is it that you ladies like about them? I am using Lion Brand Homespun yarn and I find that it won't slide easily along these large needles unless I make really loose stitches, which don't look good at all!

Donna

o

Claudia, I'll keep my eyes open for Bryspun needles...now that I know I like the 'style'....
Donna, what I like is the little dip close to the tip of the needle, that seems to 'grab' the yarn and keep it from sliding around so much...(plus, the tip itself is smaller than one would find on a regular needle of the size you're using. I'm currently using a size 11, but the tip is much smaller, which facilitates things. (but, the size of the needle doesn't have anything to do with the very different needle tip design, which is what I like.)

o

Those tips are great for lace work. The Bryspun circulars have nice flexible cords. You might want to check out the cords on the Balene circulars before you buy them. A stiff, twisty cord is a pain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here