Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why circular needles for an afgan??

Posted by kittym (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 26, 09 at 14:43

My logic is failing me. You must use them as regular straight needles and turn for each row, otherwise it is a tube?? Is it because there are so many stitches cast on??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why circular needles for an afgan??

Kitty, you're right - you knit back & forth on them like you would with straight needles.

For me, it seems to help distribute the weight more evenly when you're near the beginning or end of the rows.

Also, I have a cat who likes to help me knit, and it's much easier if there isn't a straight needle end waving around in front of her! LOL

Donna

o

Yes, you knit as you would with strait needles. I use circs for almost everything I knit. No long needle ends to get in the way or caught on chair arms. Also, the cable on the circs help hold the weight of the afghan, instead of all of it being in your hands as you knit the afghan.

Tami

o

I can't imagine knitting an afghan on just plain straight needles...there wouldn't be nearly enough room on it for a whole afghan. I've knitted throws, single and double sized blankets and I use my Denise needles...for the bigger ones I may use all the extensions and make it as big as I can. I'd think the only way to use a plain old straight needle would be to knit the afghan or blanket in strips, from top to bottom, and then sew them together.

o

Once I started using circular needles I never went back to straight. That is, except for socks. Then I use a set of 5 needles.

The weight of your work is in your lap, instead of pulling at the end of the needles.

Moni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here