Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do you adjust a pattern size?

Posted by dcrowex (dcrowex@aol.com) on
Mon, Oct 9, 06 at 14:22

I am making a fun fur purse for one of my granddaughters and wanted to make a smaller version for her sister. can i just cut the cast on stitches in half and make it half as long or is there a forumla to this? thank you!

here is the link for what I am making but I am also including the knitting instructions.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwe-funFurPurse.html?noImages=

GAUGE:

8 stitches + 12 rows = 4" (10 cm) in stockinette stitch (knit on right side, purl on wrong side) with one strand of each yarn held together. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
NOTES:

Purse is worked with 1 strand of Wool-Ease Thick & Quick and 1 strand of Fun Fur held together throughout.

PURSE
With 1 strand of each yarn, cast on 26 stitches. Work in garter stitch (knit every row) for 2 rows. Work in stockinette stitch until piece measures 18" from beginning, ending with a purl row.

Next row (make buttonhole) Knit 12, yarn over, knit 2 together, knit 12. Knit 2 rows. Bind off all stitches.

Finishing
Fold piece in half and sew side seams.

Strap
With 1 strand of each yarn, cast on 40 sts.

Next Row Bind off all stitches.

Attach strap to side seams at top of purse.

Weave in loose ends and sew on button.

Here is a link that might be useful: Furry Fun Purse to Knit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do you adjust a pattern size?

Cute bag.

There isn't really a formula. What you are planning will work just fine.

Instead of casting on 26 stitches, I would cast on 12-15 for the mini-bag. And then instead of knitting until it measures 18 inches, stop at 8-10 inches and make your button hole. You can fold your work in half as you go to sort of eyeball the size of your finished bag. When it looks big enough, stop and make your button hole and finish from there.

Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here