Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1st Time Knitting with Circular Needles

Posted by TamiF (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 11 at 13:14

I am making an afghan that calls for 29" Circular knitting needles, size 17and I am confused. Do I let the yarn go on the circular? I need to cast 109 and the needles aren't that big, so I am confused on do I keep the yarn just on the needles and it will be tight or do I let it the yarn go on the circular part and than it won't be tight at all. Can you please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1st Time Knitting with Circular Needles

Yes, you let the knitting slide down on the circular part.
After you cast on, you will slide the stitches toward the other end of the needle in order to knit them. The size of the stitches is determined at the time you knit them, and having them loose on the nylon string won't change them.

I think you will LOVE using circulars.

-Babka

o

Thank you.

o

Be sure not to twist those cast on stitches when you connect on Row 2.
If you do, it will twist the entire piece and you'll need to start over.
Check it carefully being sure the cast on edge is always down.

I love using circular needles even when a pattern calls for straight needles.
You don't have all that needle to deal with and it feels much less clumsy.

If you are making a pattern that is written to be knit in the round, you will find that it is so nice to always be able to KNIT round and round with no PURL rows to worry about !
It magically turns out beautifully.

Have fun !!

o

And you can knit anything on circulars that you would on strait needles. Just don't join it, switch the needles around just like you would with straits. Let the stitches slide onto the cable. It helps support the weight of the work when it gets heavier and bulkier. I almost exclusively use circulars now.

Tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here