Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is a crochet rib stitch?

Posted by tmkellyx2 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 07 at 12:05

I have a japanese crochet diagram with an "X" and a "-" above it. I looked it up and learned it was a rib stitch. I cannot find instructions on how to do this. Can someone direct me to a sight that can show me? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is a crochet rib stitch?

The "x" in your pattern means the rib stitch is worked in single crochet with the look and feel being slightly different than the rib stitch worked in double crochet (as shown in the link provided).

When I do the sc rib stitch, I work a row of single crochet in the front loop of the previous row. Then, when I reach the end of the "rib" row, I turn it and work a new row of singles; once again, only in the front of the loops of the previous row. Repeat as necessary for the correct length.

Another option: work the dc rib stitch for just half of the rows the pattern actually calls for or until you reach the desired length. One point worth mentioning... the dc ribbing will be slightly looser than what sc ribbing will produce.

If you are doing the rib stitch for the cuffs or the bottom of a sweater, please repost your question and I will happily provide those instructions from one of my pattern books. I hope this helps!

Both methods are easy and fun to do - enjoy!

Karen :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: rib stitch in double crochet

o

Karen,

I know you posted on here forever ago, but I am trying to make mittens and am struggling to make the cuffs. If you get a chance and can post those instructions on how to make a cuff I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

o

If you're doing mittens, you've been working in the round. To begin your rib, make a chain of 11 or 13 stitches (or whatever your pattern calls for) from any stitch on your last row. You're going up and away from the body of your work.

Now it's as simple of doing single crochet back down the chain - making sure you ONLY work into the back of the loop. When you get to the bottom, you'll turn and go back up the chain - making sure you ONLY work into the back of the loop.

That's all there is to it. Just work into the back part of the loop only and you'll see the rib take shape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here