Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newontarionian

any ideas for using CORDUROY yarn

newontarionian
10 years ago

although it was intended to be a baby blanket, i was gifted with four huge skeins of a yarn that has no label. it does look exactly like corduroy .. thick, soft, lush.

i know that the pattern must be simple to bring out the texture but i do want it to be interesting to knit up (i plan to use 8mm needles).

any ideas to use this wonderful yarn?

thanks in advance
diane
:-)

Comments (11)

• tami_ohio
    10 years ago

Diane, are you a member on Ravelry? It is a free site for knitters and crocheters. They have lots of free patterns, and pay patterns also. I am making the Old Twisted Shale Baby Blanket pattern for my soon to be Granddaughter. It is a variation of the feather and fan pattern. When you purl the row after the k2tog and yo row, you purl the yo thru the back loop, twisting the stitch to close the hole. No holes for little fingers to get caught in! It's really coming out pretty. I only have a couple of repeats done but I am really liking it.

Tami

• newontarionian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tami ...

thanks for responding to my note. yes, i have researched the yarn i have on ravelry .. but have found nothing. the yarn is so lush, but i still have no idea what to make with it. i know i could do garter stitch and it would look great .. but i truly wanted something more challenging to work with.

i continue seeking on the net, etc.

thanks again
    diane

• tami_ohio
    10 years ago

Check out the Old Twisted Shale Baby Blanket pattern on Ravelry. It is simple enough for the yarn, but not boring to work on either. If you don't like the way it looks, you can always rip it out again and try something else. I am making it in I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby but I bet it will look great in your yarn too.

Tami

• newontarionian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tami ...

you are so kind in your attempts to be helpful!

i did look up the pattern you showed on ravelry, but cant find it although these are all the patterns that came up when i simply said "shale baby blanket" ...

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#view=captioned_thumbs&page=1&sort=best&query=Shale%20Baby%20Blanket

not to worry, that's fine cause that pattern, although adorable, would be far too complex for the huge corduroy yarn. truly, i haven't even seen a picture on yahoo showing any project at all that uses this yarn. it is far chunky-er than any yarn i ever saw!

anyway, your project looks great .. nice color yarn, too!

thanks again
    diane

• camper53
    10 years ago

Hey Diane, the yarn sounds like Bernat "Baby Blanket" thick yarn looks like a strip of wide wale courduroy?
    it is sooo soft tried a couple things with it but ended up just using an N hook to crochet a "V" stitch baby blanket in the yellow and used the varigated to do the border, the grandma said her premmie granddaughter loves it - texture from the big stitches and softness of the yarn..
    deb

• newontarionian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deb ..

you did the impossible! you let me know the name of the type of yarn i have. i actually went online and looked at lots of pictures of projects made from the same yarn.

thank you soooo much. now i have to settle on just one of those wonderful patterns!!!

diane

• camper53
    10 years ago

Diane, you're welcome...it's a fun yarn, tried making the bunny "blanket" buddy from Lion's website but to me the yarn was too fuzzy, but the blanket I ended up making turned out...so have fun!
    off to finish another slouchy hat...Deb

• tami_ohio
    10 years ago

I'm glad you now know what the yarn is! You could even just knit the Grandmother's Favorite dish cloth pattern with it. Just do the increases until it's as long from the beginning along the edge to the needles as you want it to be square, then start your decreases. Have fun deciding which pattern you want to use!

Tami

• newontarionian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tami ..

can you imagine that after weeks of trying every possible word in yahoo search to get an idea for the yarn i have inherited .. i finally see pictures using that yarn online!

i want to congratulate you on your newest arrival. she is going to feel the warmth of her grandma's love while she is wrapped in her beautiful, hand made blanket.

happy grandmotherhood .. it's going to be great making your little granddaughter lots of lovely grandma made pieces!

diane

• tami_ohio
    10 years ago

Thank you! She is due the end of January. The parents can't decide on a name yet.

When you inherited your yarn, was there no labels on it? I have a friend who gave me a couple of skeins last year of it. She hated it. She did a broomstick lace scarf for her granddaughter with it, and had a terrible time. That was crocheted. I can knit with it on large needles but I won't like it.

Tami

• newontarionian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tami ...

i know how astounding it is to have grandchildren .. they are so very precious. however, i still remember the horrendous process of selecting a name for a baby. there is so much pressure. you have to stay away from names of the bully people of you and your mates' lives. you have to consider how the name will do for a baby AND an adult .. pressure pressure pressure. believe it or not, i happen to spend this morning making lists for my friend who is adopting a new puppy this coming weekend! even with a dog, naming it is difficult.

however, the baby will be named and you will all be charmed and delighted, i am sure!

nope, got no labels when i received the yarn. and, frankly, it does look like it's going to be a strain to knit with it. however, it's incredibly soft and yummy!

again, congratulations

diane

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA
More Discussions