Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storage of Yarns

Posted by tipper_2006 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 3, 06 at 10:01

I'm knitting and crocheting baby blankets for future Great Grandchildren. Could someone advise me on long term storage of these? They are made using acrylic yarns. Also, should they be washed before storing?
Thanks
Tipper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storage of Yarns

I always wash acrylic yarn items to get that stiff sizing out of them and make the item softer. You can wash them whenever you want, but I do it right away to see the finished effect. Use fabric softener too. I store my items in plastic zipper bags that came with new comfortors, bed spreads, and bed linens. Keeps them dust free.

o

Thanks for your suggestions. I do wash and use fabric softener for things I use or give for gifts. I guess I don't have to worry about acrylics needing to "breath" for long term storage?? I like the idea of the bed linen bags. I have used them for storying other things. Good idea and I have some unused.

o

If you are worried about your finished work needing to "breathe" a bit, you could just unzip the bag an inch or so. Or just be sure your baby blankets are completely dry before storing them.

o

Thank you for your response. Both of you have helped me. These blankets will be stored for many years as the grand daughters are only 8 and 6 years old:-). I have a feeling that at my age now I probabley will not be around. Not gloomy just realistic...

o

What a treasure you are making for them!

o

Thanks Sheliajoyce for the kind words. I do consider the baby blankets a treasure for my future Great grandchildren. So far I've made 4 of them. I'm blessed with a wonderful daughter in law that will take care of the things I'm putting aside. Other than needlework my love is researching family genealogy. I want them to know where their roots come from.
As soon as I figure out how to post pictures to the gallery I'll love sharing with all of you.
Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here