Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
questrist

quick stitch question; chart question

Carol_Ann
16 years ago

I'm making the Backyard Leaves Scarf from Pam Allen's "Scarf Style" (pp. 79-82 if you have the book).

There are frequent slip stitches along the edge. When it calls for a sl st should I assume it's knitwise unless the pattern says otherwise (which this one doesn't)? (The precise stitch on the chart is actually "sl 1 wyib on RS; sl 1 wyif on WS" and also there's a "sl 1 wyif on RS"). I undertand the "wyif" and "wyib" part; I just want to make sure that it makes sense that I'm always slipping the st knitwise, since the pattern doesn't say.

Also, is it standard for row 1 to always be the right-side row when reading a chart? This is my first time using a chart and it called for a set-up row, then row 1... took me some time looking at the chart to make sure row 1 was the RS row. It is, but it got me wondering about charts in general.

Thanks!!

Comments (9)

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

I have the book. I have not made the Backyard Leaves Scarf, but in looking at it, I see that besides the slip stitches you mention, that there are three other types of slip stitches (ssk, sssk, and ssp). And it does specifically say that these are to be slipped knitwise. But in looking at the pattern, I think that I would slip the stitches with the yarn in back knitwise because the next stitch will be a knit stitch, and slip the stitches with the yarn in front purlwise because the next stitch will be a purl stitch. Just my opinion. But I think how it looks will be your deciding factor.

I do think that row 1 is generally thought of as a right side row.

• Carol_Ann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Donna. I've done ssk's etc. before and didn't think about applying those instructions to the regular sl st's. I've done a small swatch -- guess I'll keep going with it and see what happens and how the sl st look trying it as you suggest. I thought the way the yarn twists with a knitwise sl st might be part of the pattern look and I guess I'll have to keep knitting to find out.

I never thought I would appreciate swatching as much as I do. It gives me the freedom to just plunge ahead and be willing to make mistakes because I know I'm going to frog it all anyway! :)

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Carol Ann, you're a wiser woman than I. I am stubborn about swatching, and I know that someday I am going to regret it.

• jenn
    16 years ago

I've made a couple of swatches to test a pattern and I plan to keep them. I put them in a small snack-size ziplock bag with a label on the outside that identifies the stitch pattern, the needle size, and type of cast-on and bind-off. I plan to do this with more swatches. Sometimes I just make a swatch to practice my knitting since I am still just learning.

The swatches that I can touch and feel and stretch are much more "alive" to me than a photograph (especially off the internet), and they would make great samples to show others who might want me to make a scarf or something for them. Also, if I find a free pattern on-line that sounds interesting but a photo isn't provided, I'll make a swatch to keep for future reference.

• sandra_ferguson
    16 years ago

I always make a swatch of new edging patterns.....sometimes in different weight yarns.....and keep the instructions for them pinned to them. That way I can get a preview of how they would look, because I can hold them up to the knitted object and don't have to imagine how so and so edging would look.

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

I "know" that swatching is definitely not a waste of time, but when I am itching to get something done fast (as in, "babies grow up so quickly") I just don't take the time. Jenn and Sandra, I like your idea of samples.

• threejsmom
    16 years ago

Re: slipping stitches, generally stitches are slipped purlwise except when specified or doing decreases where they are worked right away after being slipped, like the SSK. Slipping purlwise maintains the correct mount of the stitch for the the next row. When you slip a stitch stitchwise, it is twisted, which is useful in some cases like decreases. The pattern may not have specified the way to slip because people knit differently. Combined knitting or eastern knitting will twist stitches so the way you slip would depend on how you work it on the next row. Incidentally I think that Annie Modesitt who designed this scarf has promoted awareness of different knitting styles, which is great because some knitters have been criticized unfairly for doing it the "wrong" way. There are no knitting "rules" so as Donna says, just do what looks right to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Different ways to knit

• Carol_Ann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the additional input. I admire those who save their swatches -- I keep thinking I should, but then what if I'm just a few inches short on my project? :) so I never risk it.

I knit continental after floundering with English for years (and never really developing a good even stitch, nor did I enjoy it that much) so I'm a big proponent of doing what's right for you! Thanks for the notes about the different ways to knit.

I'm still swatching so I'll compare the edges slipping knitwise and purlwise and see which I like the look of best.

• threejsmom
    16 years ago

Sorry, I meant to say when you slip a stitch KNITWISE it is twisted.... Can't figure out how to edit my post after it's gone up. If anyone knows, please tell me!

Sponsored
More Discussions