Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
circular needles - HELP!!

Posted by dcrowex (dcrowex@aol.com) on
Sun, Oct 8, 06 at 7:01

i am trying to get an afghan started and it my first time using these kinds of needles. the first couple rows of cast on and knit are fine. at the end of this last row, i can still hold stretch the needles separate as if it is one long row. the problem is the next row from there. at the end of the row, there is yarn connecting where it looks like i am now working in a circle. obviously, if i continued on like this it would be one big tube. i keep pulling the yarn out back to row 2 where everything was ok and still getting the same results. here are the directions and the problem always starts with row 2.

cast on 107 stitches. do not join.

row 1 knit

row 2 K1, P7, *K7, P7; rep from * to last st; K1

row 3 knit

etc

I get as far as cast on and row 1 and all is fine. the problem is after row 2. what am i doing wrong?

thanks, deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: circular needles - HELP!!

Are you remembering to turn your needles? Switch them like they weren't connected?

Are you using yarn from the tail by accidently?

What I do when I use circs (okay, I never actually use straight needles) is pretend like they're straight - not connected at all.

~ Kit

o

Exactly what Kit said. Just because you are using circular needles does not mean you have to knit in the round. If you are knitting a flat piece, you must turn the piece as if you were using straight needles. Like Kit, I rarely use straights anymore.

o

Thanks for responding. But I am sorry, I am not understanding. Each time I end a row, the yarn from the ball is on my right needle. If I turn it or switch it, the yarn will be on the left side to start knitting. I am brand new to the circular needles so sorry if I am not understanding this.

deb

o

Yes, what you say is correct. At the end of the row, turn the needles around so that the left hand needle is now your right hand needle. Now put the right hand needle into the first stitch, wrap the yarn around your right hand needle, and complete the stitch. Now the yarn ball is coming off the completed stitch on your right hand needle. You just need to TURN the afghan after EACH row. If you don't, you will make one great big tube. Turn your needles and afghan around after EACH row.

o

Well that makes sense. I will try that. I figured it was something simple and I just wasnt seeing it. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here