Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ice_cream_lover

Please, I'm new, I' need help!!

ice_cream_lover
15 years ago

I'm teaching myself knitting, and trying to make a scarf.

I already know what's a garter st, but I don't know what's an odd row and even row?? what's the difference ?

What's the meaning for k3, k5, p5, k5 and k3 ??

Thanks.

Alma

Comments (8)

• jjknitter
    15 years ago

What's the meaning for k3, k5, p5, k5 and k3 ??
    K - Knit
    P - Purl
    the number after the letter means the number of stitche worked
    K3 - Knit 3 stitches
    K5- Knit 5 stitches.
    The odd number of row, I believe would start with odd no.
    The even number of row, I believe would start with an
    even number of stitches.
    HOpe this helps and good luck.
    If you have more questions, please post and someone will
    answer you gladly.

• sandra_ferguson
    15 years ago

I thought that odd rows are those rows of odd numbers....rows, 1,3, 5, 7, etc...and that even rows are those of even numbers ..rows 2, 4, 6, 8....nothing to do with how many stitches in the rows.

• socks
    15 years ago

JJ knitter, is there a star by that first k5?

Sandra & JJ, why would the pattern be k3 and k5 together?

Yes, odd and even relates to the number of the row, not the number of stitches in the row. I think that's what JJ meant.

• sandra_ferguson
    15 years ago

i didn't see where the instructions were K3, K5 together...the only ones in the posting I saw were k3, k5, p5, k5 and k3 ...no togethers .

• socks
    15 years ago

What I mean is, why did the pattern say k3, k5--why didn't it say k8?

I was wondering if there was a star by k5 meaning there might be a repeat from that point. Sorry if I'm not clear, maybe I've confused things more for Ice Cream Lover! If so, I'm sorry. Hope she'll tune in and let us know.

• sandra_ferguson
    15 years ago

I see what you mean, Socks..., I don't have an answer..... I'm not sure k3, k5, p5, k5 and k3 is an actual instruction, word for word. I was really thinking it was just various abbreviations that ice cream lover saw, and wasn't necessarily an actual one, if you get my drift. You're right, of course...in general, there would be no reason for an instruction that said K5, K3, rather than a K8, unless there is something else 'going on' that we don't know about. So, Socks..what is the entire instruction, including all
    * *, etc. Here is the URL for a site of knitting abbreviations and what they mean, that may be a help to you.
    http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-glossary There are TONS of abbrev, you won't need for QUITE a while, but it's nice to have a glossary of all the terms, all in one place. Make it a favorite, so you can refer to it as needed....and, I hope you enjoy yourself...after all, that's what it should be all about.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I bet this scarf has a border of 3 garter stitches, so they wrote it this way. Then the next row is k3, p5, k4, p5, k3. But it still doesn't make much sense to write it that way. Or there could be ()s missing too.

• socks
    15 years ago

I'm thinking that there is a star by the K5--*K5--so that the knitter would be repeating from that point or something like that.

Alma, have we complete confused you? Tune in and tell us more about the pattern.