Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Babies, babies, babies

sheilajoyce_gw
16 years ago

Well, this last year and the coming year too seem to be the years of the babies. Friends are having grandchildren. My kid and her friends are having or had babies. I do love to do crochet and knit projects for babies. I usually give a cardigan sweater, especially for southern and western babies as they don't really need coats if they have a few sweaters for cool days. I like to make a matching pair of booties and a hat too. Then I have lately been making crocheted edges on cloth diapers for burp cloths. I like to edge a double sided yard of cotton flannel for a nice, large receivng blanket or summer blanket. I do love to make afghans, usually crochet, but it does seem to me that young moms get more of these than they need. And if I have left over flannel scraps, I will make baby washcloths or burp cloths and edge them with cotton crochet. Then I tend to make a few booties and maybe another hat, and that is it. I am going to be rushing to get it all done this year.

If there are older sisters, I like to make the basinette purse with a tiny Care Bear and trim the purse with the color of the bear for them. ButI have not figured out what to do for an older toddler brother. I suppose a hat, as a muffler would find no use in the warm winters here.

Comments (7)

• jenn
    16 years ago

How about a pair of mittens for the older toddler brother? I live in SoCal and I wear a jacket, scarf, and gloves in the winter on the chilliest mornings and nights. If they go to the snow, they'll need them for sure.

It sounds like you'll be busy having fun! :-)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live in So Cal too, but I would never dream of wearing gloves to keep warm. I am a transplant from colder climes,so that may explain it some. Do you live inland with the cooler nights of the desert?

• jenn
    16 years ago

I live inland, but still in L.A. county. I don't where gloves everywhere I go in winter... just in the very early mornings when I head for work (6:00 AM) when lows are 30s-40s. Never indoors, of course.... and only seldom, mostly on cold early mornings if I have to go out or late evening/night when it's particularly chilly. If the kids aren't from a colder climate, they might enjoy them with a matching scarf and especially if they go to the snow in the mountain resorts.

• profsusan
    16 years ago

I remember making the basinette purse many years ago...haven't done any recently. Your idea for the "big brother" is more practical than fun. I would suggest (depending on age of the "big brother") these crocheted items: football, hacky sack/footbag, crayon tote or a checkerboard set. I've made some hacky sacks and a few checkerboards in fun colors. There are plenty of patterns around on the internet. Start with the one attached. Since you also knit, I am sure there are similar patterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crochet Pattern Central.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for suggestions, Susan. Yes, I was looking for fun ideas. I will check out this site.

• Carol_Ann
    16 years ago

Have you made Elizabeth Zimmermann's baby surprise jacket? It's the cutest jacket (go to flickr.com or google images and do a search and you'll see all kinds of variations for colors). Pattern was $3-4 at my LYS and it's in some of her books. It can be done in self-striping yarn, with leftovers, etc. Some people add a collar or (my fav) a hood. In case you aren't familiar with it, it's knit all in one piece looking like a blob and then you fold it the right way and seam up the sides and voila! A very cute cardigan!

Also, I found the cutest booties, Saartje's baby booties, here's a blog link that includes the pattern link...
    Saartje's booties I've seen them done with all sorts of yarn and buttons and they're adorable. They would be cute done in the same colors and buttons as the BSJ.

Knitty.com has all sorts of cute baby/toddler things, including little animals. It's worth doing a search.

Have fun! I'm waiting for someone I know to have a baby so I can get busy on a BSJ but I may have to make one regardless, just because it looks like such a fun knit! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: BSJ photo

• sheilajoyce_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think that purple varigated BSJ is darling. I will have to look for the pattern. What kind of yarn? I almost wonder if that purple one is sock yarn.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH
More Discussions