Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first projects finished

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 07 at 23:35

Here are my first projects, a pair of dishcloths. The one on the left is Grandmother's Favorite shared by Carol Ann. The one on the right is one of several different patterns from a Leisure Arts pattern booklet I picked up at Joann's.

The red yarn is Lion Brand, and the other is Sugar 'n Cream. Both are nice to learn with. I'll make a couple more of these and by then I'll be ready to move on to scarves.

They need to be blocked, right? What is the best way to do that? The yarn is 100% mercerized cotton.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first projects finished

Jenn, did you post photos? They aren't showing up at all for me...

I don't block my dishcloths -- I just use them -- but I'm making some for gifts and I might block them just so they look nice and symmetrical :) I've only blocked one other thing so I don't know a lot about it; I just dampened the article and then carefully smoothed it out, pinned it (I use a camping mat from Kmart as a blocking pad), and waited for it to dry. The only thing I can pass on is to use the method that's appropriate for your fiber, and smooth from the center instead of pulling at the edges. You don't always have to pin, but if you do, make sure you use rust-proof pins.

Here are some links, but I'm sure the much more experienced people on this board will have some words of wisdom for you!

from Knitty.com, very detailed but good

from a blog -- I found more good hints here

a basic how-to

o
I almost forgot!

Hurrah! on your first projects!! Look out scarves, here she comes! :)

o

Oh! Sorry, I forgot to copy the link to the picture... click on it to enlarge.

o

Carol Ann, thank you for the links. There is no end to the information we can find on-line, is there?

o

Jenn - Very pretty. Wish I had the fortitude to try something different. Keep up the good work!!!

o

Nice work, Jenn! I especially love the heart!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here