Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam00_gw

surprise jacket

sam00
14 years ago

I was wondering if anyone knows of a baby jacket similar to the surprise jacket.I live in Australia and it is gong to cost to much to order the pattern from America. Ive tried all the libraries and book shops here with no luck.. Any help would be great.

Comments (11)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

The pattern is in two of Elizabeth Zimmerman's books. Did you check to see if they carry any of her books?

There are some other patterns, and I think profsusan found one and listed it on this site. It is not as attractive as the BSJ.

• socks
    14 years ago

Lion Brand has a free pattern for a sweater knit all in one piece. There are 2 versions, one is called Seven Seas Baby set and the other is Bubblegum set. You would not have to do the stripes, could do all in one color which is how I made it. It's all in one piece except for sewing up the side seams. No collar.

I don't know if this is similar to the EZ sweater or not, but it is all in one piece.

• justlinda
    14 years ago

If you are looking for crochet pattern, you may want to check out the pattern in this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hexagon Sweater ~ Crochet

• socks
    14 years ago

Linda, isn't that a cute one! Have you made it from that pattern, and is it tricky at all? Is it all in one piece, except the collar?

Thanks.

Susan

• justlinda
    14 years ago

I haven't tried it myself ~ yet! It's on my "to do" list though. I was looking at it and thinking perhaps once you've figured out how it goes together, one could make an adult sweater the same way.

• Dash2
    14 years ago

I've made a number of the hexagon sweater. Unfortunately, I've never taken the time to get a picture. It's extremely fast to work up, and extremely easy.

It's made in two pieces. It's a single seam up the back to put together. I've made it with the granny stitch. There's also a version that is all double crochet, no holes.

Each one I've made was used as a last minute gift and they were very well received. My personal preferance is to knit the borders, collar and button bands. But no mater how you approach it, it is a winner.

• Janey - formerly jane2
    14 years ago

Sam00;

E-mail janeyknitting@yahoo.ca about the surprise jacket pattern. (That is, off-list.)

Jane2 here (Janey elsewhere)

• profsusan
    14 years ago

I have made both the hexagon without holes and the one done in the granny square mode. Here are links within this site to my photos
    No Hole Hexagon
    Granny Type
    Both work up fast and there are so many combinations you could try.

• Janey - formerly jane2
    14 years ago

Sam00;

What I was trying to say - without coming out and actually writing it - was that my LYS has a copy of the baby surprise jacket as a separate pattern.
    Cost is $10 I think. And the postage would be about $2.

• zarazane
    14 years ago

Sam00

Can you please email me, I live in
    Aust also. Address is on My Page.

• empress
    14 years ago

sam00,

The Baby Surprise Jacket is available in The Opinionated Knitter and Knitting Workshop, both by Elizabeth Zimmerman, apparently also in a couple of back issues of KnitterÂs magazine (I don't know which ones, and from Schoolhouse Press in a 12 pg booklet with the pattern in adult, baby, and child sizes for $10.

http://www.schoolhousepress.com/patterns.htm

In the Spring/Summer 2007 issue of Vogue Knitting International, EZ's daughter, Meg Swanson shares EZ's Surplice Baby Jacket, which appears to use the same basic construction as the BSJ, but crosses over in the front instead of buttoning down the center.

I hope you find a copy of the pattern soon. It looks like a fun project.