Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Looking for a knitting tote

jenn
16 years ago

I just bought more yarn for two more scarves for Hubby, and I still haven't use the yarn I bought last week! I guess I'm building a stash and will need a container to store it.

But I am also looking for a tote bag suitable for carrying my current project, a small book, extra needles, pair of small scissors, a notepad, and whatever else I might need for most projects. Not too big, but not too small as I'd like for most any project to fit.

I saw these bags at L.L.Bean and really like them, but I'm wondering if the smallest size (12h x 21w x 8d) is too big, particularly the 21-inch width. However, I like that they are waterproof, and have a zippered closure. I want a container that I can close for protection or to keep the contents clean.

What size is generally suitable for an all-around tote for your typical knitting project?

Comments (4)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

I go to enough conferences that I get those canvas and nylon totes as part of the registration, and I use one of them.

• jenn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What size are they? I'm most curious about what size is best. The L.L.Bean tote I like is 21 inches wide and I'm wondering if that is too big for most projects. I know, it's not the only tote around, but the price is good and I like it. :)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

What size you will need really depends on the size of the projects you will be carrying about. If you are making an afghan, you need a roomy tote. If you are making socks or a scarf, you don't need that much space and a much smaller tote will do (12x12). I like to have the following in my tote if I am going somewhere for long enough to plan on doing a lot of my project--the project in whatever state it is, another skein of yarn, my pattern, and my needlework kit of supplies (hooks, yarn needles, measuring devices, stitch holders, cable holders, stitch counters, the other size knitting needles if it is a knit project and I need 2 needle sizes, etc.). This tote is much bigger than you need for a simple scarf, but I bet there will come a time you will be making something bigger, and then you would find a larger tote useful.

• Carol_Ann
    16 years ago

For long-distance travel I generally stick my knitting in a zip-type plastic bag and then into a larger tote with reading material, maps, etc. although the last time I just put all my yarn, needles, patterns, etc., in a grocery-sized tote (the kind you buy at the grocery store for 99 cents and can use forever) and threw it in the back seat. The cheapo bags don't zip and they aren't waterproof but they're relatively water resistant and I have a bunch of them so I use them for lots of things.

If I'm just going on a day trip or errands I put knitting in a zip -type plastic bag and tuck it in my purse (which is a messenger bag and holds books and everything I need). I like having just one bag to schlep around.

All that said, I don't think your LL Bean tote sounds too big at all, and it's full of great features, but I'm a Bean fan -- their products are generally very well made and last forever (doesn't hurt that DH is from the Freeport area and we get to visit the Bean store there) :) I have a waxed canvas tote I bought from them almost 20 years ago, it zips and is pretty waterproof, I use it almost every time I travel but it's too big for most daily knitting kind of toting. I wish they still made that line of products. Land's End has some nice totes and bags, too. They have a zippered one that comes in sizes smaller than the Bean one.

I've bought all my knitting baskets for home use (I have 3 now) at flea markets/thrift stores, each for under $4, all are nice picnic baskets that work well for my WIP. I keep my stash yarn in a small wood chest that was made for my mother when she was a child. Plastic crates or other storage containers work well on closet shelves.

And, of course, you can always knit your own tote :)

Sponsored
More Discussions