Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make a cardigan out of a regular sweater

Posted by barb_roselover_in (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 21:41

I have a couple of sweaters that I would like to make into cardigans. Can I do that and where do I get the directions.? Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make a cardigan out of a regular sweater

I don't know of any directions to do such a thing. If I understand correctly, you want to make a pullover sweater into one that is open at the front (maybe with buttons, maybe not). I believe it can be done, but I'm not sure you would be satisfied with the results. If it is a sweater you made and still have leftover yarn, the results might be passable. But if it is a purchased sweater, chances are that you will never be able to match the yarn and would end up coordinating with some other yarn instead.

I think that you would first have to make a line of stitching with a sewing machine just to either side of the center front (I would suggest placing tissue paper at least underneath the sweater and possibly over the top as well). After stitching, cut right down the center of the sweater, then pull off the tissue paper. You could then pick up stitches along one of the front sections you just made and knit an edging. I would think you should make it twice the width you want, because in order to achieve a finished look, you will need to fold it to the back and hand stitch it down over the cut edge. Do the same for the other front side. Of course, if you want buttons, you will need to knit buttonholes in the appropriate places.

Unless your sweater is made with one of the thinner yarns, I don't think you'll be pleased with the results.

There may be other ways to do this, but I don't know of any. I hope someone smarter than I will answer this question for you. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here