Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To fringe, or not to fringe

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 07 at 21:36

I finished my first scarf and I'm debating whether to add fringe. I wasn't planning to. It's a very chunky scarf about 6 feet long and 4 inches wide. I think it's long enough without it.

Do most of you add fringe? Does it make a scarf appear more finished?

BTW I learned lesson #1: Always check lot numbers!!! I bought two skeins from the same bin and the second one (which I had to join about 18 inches from the end) isn't quite as fluffy as the first one, seems a tiny bit tighter, and made a much nicer edge after I binded off than the cast-on edge I began with. I also learned I need a larger crochet hook for these thicker yarns, or at least a darning needle with a MUCH larger eye.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To fringe, or not to fringe

I think it's totally a matter of preference. I only add fringe if a recipient says they would like it. For myself, never. In my opinion, after a couple of washings, no matter how gentle, fringe looks terrible. Some yarns fray and puff out (like Homespun). Others just look ratty. If I really felt that something for me needed fringe, I'd probably improvise a crocheted fringe, like ch 20, sl st in each ch, then sl st to the piece and so on.

o

I also prefer not to add one. They tangle and are a general pain in real life use. You can also do a picot cast-on and cast-off for a decorative edging.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picot cast-on and cast-off

o

Fringe or not for me depends on, first of all, the recipient's preference (if they have one and I know it), and then on the pattern and yarn. For most scarves I don't but sometimes it just really makes the scarf "pop." Overall, though, I skip it if it doesn't make a difference or isn't requested, for reasons others have mentioned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here