Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foggyj

do you know about this joining yarn?

foggyj
11 years ago

Just found this out after 30 years of knitting!

A way to join yarn with an almost invisable knot.

go to Google, then-- "you tube-magic knot knitting".

You'll see a tutorial on how to do it. It's wonderful!

Comments (17)

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

That is a nice technique. Thanks!

E

• wynative
    11 years ago

This is a great idea! I will be using it this afternoon : )
    Marie

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

Here is the link for reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic knot video.

• acraftylady
    11 years ago

Thank you. I have now converted from using the russian join to this, love it so much better. Mary

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

I don't know what the Russian join is.

E

• acraftylady
    11 years ago

Look here for the Russian join. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Russian Join

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

Oh, this new knot is SO much better! I've used it a few times now.

E

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

I'm kind of surprised that you gals seem to like this join. I haven't tried it (and don't plan to), so my opinion is only hypothetical, but I don't like the idea of it for a couple of reasons. I don't like the fact that you must pull tightly to make the knot as it seems to me that it would take any existing stretch out of the yarn, and in the case of some yarns, it might just break it. Also, it seems to me that it would make a small, HARD knot, which I don't think I would like in clothing, especially.

I did think that the Russian join was the coolest thing when I first discovered it, but I don't even use that anymore. In fact, most of the time I don't use ANY join, preferring instead to just weave in ends after I've crocheted or knitted a few rows past the point where I've added new yarn. Yes, sometimes that seems like more work, but I much prefer the finished project. I usually split the ends and weave them in opposite directions on the piece. No hard knots and no worrying that a knot might come undone, and the yarn keeps its integrity.

I'm certainly not knocking anyone who thinks this join is great, just kind of surprised, that's all.

• acraftylady
    11 years ago

I don't notice the knot it's so small but I am mostly doing a lot of crochet prayer shawls with worsted weight. Mary

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

I used it recently several times and it disappears completely in the yarn I used, a tweedy merino wool. As for stretch, there is ample stretch on each side of the knot. I don't see that as a problem. I've been knitting hats.

I can imagine times when it might not be the perfect choice, in very fine work in a solid color but for what I've been doing it's been great. I haven't used it to join another color in a precise place. It seems that it would be hard to make sure the join happens exactly where you want it to.

Eileen

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

Thanks that was a very good tutorial.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Wow! Nice join....thanks!

• Vickey__MN
    11 years ago

Tried this today, it's pretty nice. It's not the ONLY join I will ever use (Don't think it'd work on items worn close to the skin like the socks I love to knit), but it certainly has it's uses. Thanks.

Vickey

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I just used it in my latest afghan and the knot simply disappeared into the work. No ratty ends to tie off. Perfect. Thanks!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    11 years ago

I tend to use acrylic yarns for baby things, and I do suspect that with laundering such a knot would come undone eventually in acrylic yarn. I will stick with weaving in ends too.

• acraftylady
    11 years ago

I talked to a friend that has been usign this forever and she uses a lot of acrylic and she says no probem coming undone. It really is very sturdy and if you pull on it as hard as you can it doesn't come out so think it will hold up well in the wash since it's a double knot. Mary

• foggyj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree about pulling the yarn very hard, and the integrity, but it depends what I'm making.
    I like the weave in option too.

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz
More Discussions