Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wool rag rug

Posted by callagain (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 28, 06 at 19:19

Hi,
I am wanting to crochet a rug of wool strips and I need some advise! I am collecting long 100% wool skirts for this project and am uncertain as to whether I should cut them on the bias, sew together and press raw edges under (UGH)as I don't want it to "raggy" looking, or would I be better off washing & drying thus fulling the wool which I am assuming wouldn't ravel so much and then cut with the grain BUT would probably make it more difficult to crochet as there would be no give to the strips. Also, cannot quite decide on a width - I guess that depends on the first part of my question.

I am totally winging this project as I have not ben able to find any complete instructions for crocheted WOOL rag rugs, so any advise would be much appreciated!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wool rag rug

I just finished a knitted rag rug using cotton strips 1" wide on #13 needles and it turned out pretty darn good. I also snuck in a few strips (again 1") of heavier fabric almost but not quite a denim weight kinda like a heavy linen. It was rougher going and didn't "boing" as nice as the cotton fabric.
I would think a 1" wool strip would be nice for you to try also, of course if you do decide to sew the raw edges (UGH) , I'd cut it 2" to result in a 1" strip. Honestly, I think I'd felt (full?) the wool first, then cut it into 1" strips.

o
RE: wool rag rug

A great reading book with some advice on making rugs as well as felting is Mason-Dixon knitting. A great source of inspiration, and a very fun read!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here