Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
razzjad

Thick/heavy crochet afghan pattern

razzjad
17 years ago

Does anyone know of a thick or heavy afghan pattern? My husband has been asking for a nice crocheted afghan to use in the winter and I find that it is hard to know what the pattern is going to be like until I have done a few rows. I am sure someone has a good pattern out there for a nice heavy/warm afghan.

Comments (13)

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

You might use a large (somewhere between a K and Q) hook and several strands of worsted weight. That would also give it a tweedy "masculine" look if you use several colors. The stitch wouldn't make that much of a difference. You could make it completely in hdc, which would have several advantages. It would go much quicker than sc and would be denser (less holey) than dc.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

I love the basket weave afghan pattern for men that Lion Brand has in their free patterns at lionbrand.com. It is especially handsome in a dark color. My favorite is a navy worsted yarn and then I add a border on it in navy and cranberry (the pattern does not call for a border). The picture of the afghan is hard to see because they did it in deep forest green, but if you want to make it really handsome, use a deep color. I tried a white version for a baby blanket and it was blah.

• Maggie4
    17 years ago

I made the basket weave with wine yarn for my hubby. He won't get cold with it. It is very thick and warm.

• razzjad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the wonderful advice!

• profsusan
    17 years ago

this one is different and you use two strands together so it could be solid or any combination that would blend with furniture, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skipping Stones

• diggerb2
    17 years ago

check out lion brands "waterfall" afghan. there are intructions for both crochet and knitting. i've knit several, everyone who has received them really likes them. but i always knit them very large-- calls for 58 stitches cast on #19 needles and to knit to 60" using 6 skiens of
    'homespun' yarn (using 2 strands at a time. i usually cast on 116 stitches with #17 needles and knit to 72" using 10 skiens of yarn 2 strands at a time. I did one in purples using 1 strand of same color of homespun throughout with 2 other strands of mix and match purples (3 strands altogther)
    that came out great,

depends on how your DH is going to use the afghan-- in his den or on camping trips? what type of yarn you use. I make my afghans large because something 44"x60" (standard afghan size)doesn't seem really useful.

diggerb
    practical

• nyxx
    17 years ago

I bought a Leisure Arts pattern book at Wal-Mart called Double-Delight. It has six designs using double ended hook. The one I made is called Peaceful Place. It is a really unique pattern imho. It uses two strands of different colored yarn. I used blue and white. It worked out so that one side of the afghan is mostly blue and mostly white on the other. Very pretty and snugglely too.
    There is however a mistake in the pattern. The end of row 5 it says to (insert hook under next vertical bar, YO and pull up loop) twice. The twice part is wrong. So just cross that word out and you are good to go.

• csedgewood
    17 years ago

I like the "aphgan stitch" which is very heavy with just one strand of yarn. I just made a beautiful aphgan for my bedroom in blue stripes and then cross-stitched many various flower baskets with flowers, leaves, stems, etc. on it. I think it's georgeous, and the basket pattern matches my bedroom floral designs.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Here's one you might like.
    My Man Afghan (AKA "BIG BULKY BIKKIE")

Here is a link that might be useful: MY MAN AFGHAN

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

I have yet to try the afghan stitch. Maybe in the new year when I FINALLY finish my table cloth, I will buy a special hook and try it. It certainly is a warm stitch; I know because I was given a wonderful baby blanket that is all afghan stitch and it is soooo nice.

• rwisniew
    17 years ago

Sheila, how did you edge the basket weave afghan? Did you make it larger?

Sherri

• lorijean44
    16 years ago

I realize this thread is a little old, but I wanted to share what I think is one of the nicest heavy afghans I've seen. I've made several of the afghans in this booklet, but the cover afghan is wonderful. I've made it in several colors and always get another request for it whenever someone spots me in the middle of making this pattern!

Lori

• snowball
    16 years ago

my favorite afghan pattern is called a navaho afghan. Its warm although the colors listed in pattern are red white black and gray I've done all colors to either go with a room a personality or as in wedding gifts favorite colors if you are interested I can find the pattern and send it to you
    sheila

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County
More Discussions