Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adjusting pattern to fit larger size

Posted by itsgrandma (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 07 at 17:27

I have just finished 'fisherman rib' jumpers (sweaters)for two of my grandsons, using an old Patons & Baldwins pattern. Their father (my son) has now asked me to make one for him to match! Unfortunately, the pattern only goes up to chest size 30" and he is chest 42". Although I am quite a good knitter, I have no idea at all on how I go about changing a pattern to fit a larger size person. I've look for a similar pattern for an adult, which I could perhaps adjust to match the boys, but no luck. Obviously this will be quite a labour of love, making something to fit my son, and I don't really want to attempt it without some idea on how to do this size change.
Has anybody got any ideas please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adjusting pattern to fit larger size

First, I would look for a pattern that gives the measurements of the pieces for a 42 inch chest--width and length of each piece--front, back, sleeves. Then I would look at the gauge of the yarn and needles you used and convert that gauge to the necessary number of stitches to cast on to get the measurements from the 42 pattern. Hope I have explained myself clearly.

o

Sheila gave you some good advice, just remember that cables will make the finished measurements smaller, so when looking for a pattern that gives the measurements you need, look for one that is similar to what you have made for the boys. Also, (and I don't have it) there is a computer program that you can use to design your own sweater patterns to fit any size, just type in the gauge and needles you are usuing, the desing you want and the measurments. I can't remember what the name of it is, and it's expensive, but if you like to knit sweaters, it might be a good investment. The owner of a local knit shop, where I usually knit with a group on Thurs., has it, and designed me a pattern for a shell using a stitch pattern I liked, when we couldn't find a ready made pattern for what I wanted. Of course I bought the yarn from her and got started that day! And I really love the shell!

Tami

o
RE: another thought

You might try contacting the pattern company to see if they have a larger version of that pattern.

Tami

o

See if your library has a copy of Jacqueline Fee's "Sweater Workshop" which uses Elizabeth Zimmerman's percentages system to design sweaters for a given gauge and size.

o

Couldn't you just pick some design element from the boy's sweaters....a couple cables or whathave you, and then do those down the center of a plain knitted sweater that you KNOW the guage for?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here