Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedeebaker_gw

Scarves for the Troops

deedeebaker
16 years ago

Has anyone ever crocheted scarves for the troops? I'm new at doing scarves and all the instructions say are the dimensions approx. 12x42 and no fringe or scallops, just plain. They ask that you use only tan, brown, gray, black or olive drab or combinations thereof. And they suggest soft, 100 percent wool, alpaca or cashmere yarns or blends of these yarns, worsted or bulky weight. I would really like to do this but am not sure what kind of stitch or pattern to do or what size needle. I'm not new at crocheting because I've done alot of blankets but I'm not to sure about scarves. I appreciate your help.

Comments (16)

• threejsmom
    16 years ago

I don't crochet so can't suggest a stitch or pattern but below is a link to lots of crochet patterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crochet patterns

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

deedee - Good for you for doing this. BUT, I sure wouldn't use the yarn you said is recommended-I would think it would be very impractical, but its not my call.

In the link below, Red Heart and Patons acrylic is used. Acrylic is machine washable and dryable and as you can see from the picture, there are lots of possibilities for variety. I use the Red Heart acrylic yarns for most of my donations as they must take a laundry beating. Most of my scarves are double crochet with H, I or J hook. I'm a pretty tight crocheter.

Have fun - they go quickly :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarves for soldiers

• Carol_Ann
    16 years ago

I don't like to contradict others, but I'd go with what's recommended. There are reasons they picked what they picked and things made otherwise may not get to a recipient. There are some advantages to acrylic but it isn't nearly as warm, doesn't hold its shape well, and doesn't hold up as well as wool. The military is known for using wool so I'm sure they know what they're getting into when they recommend it.

I'd use a nice simple stitch/pattern -- a lot of the scarves will go to men so something unisex is a good idea. A scarf is just a blanket for your neck :) so you shouldn't have any trouble with it. Enjoy your project!!

• deedeebaker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. I agree that I should use the yarn recommended.They really stressed this in the directions. I was able to get it on sale last year but never got around to doing anything with it. I'm looking forward to trying this and as carol ann said a scarf is just a blanket for your neck, (i like that statement) so I should be ok with it. Thanks again for your advice.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

I have made helmet liners for the troops. I was told that some directions say no acrylic because of the damage melted acrylic yarn can cause to a Marine or soldier's skin when it melts into them in a fire or explosion. It IS a laundering problem, but it also a health problem for the military personnel caught in a fire.

I remember learning that the military prefer wool because even wet from storms, wool clothing will keep the soldier warm. Our Marines and soldiers are out in all the elements.

I will have to look at my stash and see what I have in wool scarf material. I would love to send them to someone for use.

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

sheilajoyce - That's a very good point that I hadn't thought of.

• jenn
    16 years ago

I'm curious where you found the instructions. The link posted above is to a blog with a date of September 2006, and the instructions I found there didn't say anything about the type of yarn, just the color and size of the scarf.

Where are the instructions for type of yarn to use, and is this a current project?

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

This is from the description in the blog that I posted. These are scarves, not helmet liners, so that may be the difference in the type of yarn.

The scarf on the left is crocheted with Red Heart Soft Acrylic, color: Toast. The center scarf is crocheted with Red Heart Camoflage yarn. The scarf on the right is knitted with Paton's Tweed Acrylic. The dimensions of each scarf are almost 7 inches wide and 37" or 38" long.

deedeebaker, is this the site you saw?

SCARVES FOR TROOPS

Scarves need to be made of soft, 100% wool, alpaca or cashmere yarn or blends of
    these yarns, either worsted or bulky weight. Knitted, crocheted or sewn from
    fabric. Finished dimensions: approx. 12 inches x 42 inches. No fringe or
    scallops, just plain. The ONLY COLORS ALLOWED ARE: tan, brown, gray, black or
    olive drab or combinations thereof. NO BLUE! Please send to:
    Helmetliner, P.O. Box 236, Auburn, IL 62615.

Seems like the military would have set a standard as to the type of yarn used.

• deedeebaker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, that's the site that I saw however, it was last year but I do think they keep updating the site.

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

One of our local craft stores is doing this. They are supplying the yarn, acrylic, and the pattern, then the scarves are being given to the USO to be sent. From the logos on the pattern, it seems to be sponsered by the USO. Damien's other grandma is doing one, and needed help when she made a mistake on it. I saw that it was being done, but when I found out that the closing date you had to turn the finished scarves in was yesterday, I didn't have time to do any, as it takes me longer than a week and a half to knit one.

Tami

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

No wonder there's confusion!! This is from a USO newsletter:

SCARVES FOR SOLDIERS

Put your talent to work by making much needed scarves for our troops in Iraq! Scarves must be 5 ft. long and about 8" wide, using only acrylic yarn. Colors used must be brown and tan camouflage colors (Walmart Buff & Coffee for example).

For more information, call the office at 440-717-0999

Those sure are nice looking scarves in the first picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: USO Newsletter

• sharoncrafts
    16 years ago

The reason they want you to use wool etc is for warmth. Acrylic is not as warm as the wool or other types of yarn.

Sharon
    www.soldiersangels.org

Here is a link that might be useful: Support our troops

• ginaginagina
    16 years ago

If you can use acrylic, Bernat has a whole line of camouflage yarn, which will make the color issue a snap! Also, Red Heart has some colors called "camouflage" in a few of their yarns. As for a pattern-- google these words: "free" "crochet patterns" "scarf" and you should come up with something just right.

• ltd9400_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I just read everybody's messages and I'd like add my thoughts on this subject. Aside from the warmth wool provides, it's also fire resistant. Military personnel can't wear anything but wool when they're on duty. Additionally, since wool is flame retardant, it will protect our men in case they are caught up in combat and and there's an explosion. Please don't send them acrylic, or even wool blends or any other synthetic yarn scarves or hats. The hats and scarves should be 100% wool yarn.

• jdrosenburg_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I have been knitting scarves for the soldiers & currently have 50 scarves done. The majority are earth color camoflage & green color camoflage. However, they are all knitted from Red Heart acrylic yarn. Can someone tell me if the acrylic will be accepted? I plan on knitting at least 100 scarves and would hate to think that they would not be ok. I do not want to do anything that could possibly harm our troups.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Judith-

Have you thought of contacting the place you wish to donate your handiwork to see just what they will accept?

-Babka