Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huggybear_2008

lionbrand yarn has pattern for 5-1/2 hour throw

huggybear_2008
15 years ago

I just want to let some of you crocheting ladies..that I have made the 5-1/2 hour throw by lionbrand yarns and it is really nice and quick.. I have made several and have sold most of them, the rest I gave as gifts for friends and family.. I use the yarn that Wal-mart has on sale a lot in the big skins of 8oz. I have made it in Off white, dark purple, yellow, pink, green, and maroon.. all turned out very nice. oh yea and also in gold.. You do use a big Q hook and three strands of yarn, so it does go fast..

Huggybear

Comments (10)

• socks
    15 years ago

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

Thanks for the hook size I think I found the pattern let us know if this is or isn't the one you have Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Crochet Pattern: Homespun® 5 1/2 Hour Throw

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

I buy my yarn at Walmart too do you use the homespun or just the Red Heart?

That is the kind I'm most comfortable using. Thanks for the info

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I use this pattern...It is the 5/12 for beginners..

Free Crochet Pattern
    5½ hour Throw
    Lion Brand® Jiffy®
    Pattern #: 519
    SKILL LEVEL: Advanced Beginners..
    5½ hour Throw
    Lion Brand® Jiffy®
    GAUGE:

In pattern, 3 V-s sts = 6", 4 rows = 6". BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you less stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
    NOTES:

Throw is worked with three strands of yarn held together throughout.

THROW:
    Starting at bottom edge of the throw, with three strands of yarn held together, loosely ch 67.
    Row 1: Dc in 5th ch from hook, ch 1, dc in same st, * skip 2 ch, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch; repeat from * to last 2 ch, sk 1 ch, dc in last ch. Ch 3, turn.
    Row 2: *(Dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch-1 sp-one V-stitch made; repeat from * across, ending with dc in top of turning-ch. Ch 3, turn.
    Repeat Row 2 until 40 rows have been completed. Fasten off.

EDGING:
    With the right side facing you, work 1 row of sc along each side edge of the throw.

FRINGE:
    Wind a single strand of yarn around an 11" piece of cardboard. Cut at one end, making 22"-long strands. Attach 9 strands per fringe. Fold strands of yarn in half to form a loop; insert the crochet hook through back of work in first stitch along bottom edge of throw; pull loop through. Bring the ends through loop and tighten. Continue to attach fringe in every other space along the bottom edge. Repeat for the top edge. Trim fringe evenly.

ABBREVIATIONS / REFERENCES
    Click for explanation and illustration
    approx = approximately beg = begin(s)(ning)
    ch(s) = chain(s) dec = decreas(e)(s)(ing)
    fpsc = front post single crochet hdc = half double crochet
    inc = increas(e)(s)(ing) rem = remain(s)(ing)
    rep = repeat(s)(ing) rnd(s) = round(s)
    RS = right side sc = single crochet
    sl = slip st(s) = stitch(es)
    tbl = through the back loop tog = together
    yo = yarn over
    I use about 9 or 10 8oz skins..

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Minnie, I also use Wal mart yarns.. I buy what ever is on sale and if they have the right colors..

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

Thanks all
    I just wonder why you have to use three strands of yarn I use two strands when I'm making a little throw rug. My Red Heart is 2.18 at Walmart and 2.49 up elsewhere BTW

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

How do you handle the yarn when using 3 strands at once? Do you unroll the skeins and re-roll them all together? Or do you put each one in some kind of container so that they don't tangle?

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GRACIE01,
    I put the three skeins in a plastic grocery bag and pull out the three strands one from each skein and hold them together.. then I tie the grocery bag so the the skeins do not flop around and fall out of the bag.. it works great for me.. you can use the verigated (not sure if I spelled that right) yarn too, but when you do you still need to use three strands..It feels a little strange at first if you have never used a large Q hook or used three strands at once, but once you get use to it.. it works so fast.. try using some old yarn and make a couple of rows to pratrice and get the feel of the yarn and hook.. These throws look so pretty justed laied over the arm of the sofa or chair.. and they do keep you warm on a chilly night.
    any other questions please feel free to ask..
    Huggybear

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

Thanks Huggybear,

So you put all 3 skeins in ONE bag?

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes I do gracie, I put all three in one bag, but you know you could put one in a bag and use three seperate bags.. just remember to tie the bag shut so the skein does not come out of the bag.. and remember it seems when ever I use three or even just two skeins together.. they never end up with the same amount in the skein..not sure why, but it is like I always have a little left over. also I sometimes get one skein extra to make the fringe with cause when you use then ends of some skeins they are really curly and do not make the best looking fringe. but you can save the small amount left over from your skeins to use also for the fringe.. you could wrap it around your carboard and by the time you go to use it. it would be nice and straight.. when I wrap my yarn around the carboard I reinforce it with Tape and I put a notch in the top to catch the first strand to hold it tight.. but not to tight.. save your carborad for you next throw.. I want to make a verigated yarn one next.. I think a soft brown, cream and tan would look pretty and also a grey and cream would be pretty.
    Goog luck if you make this I am sure you will like it and like I said it is really fast..
    Huggybear