Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_ferguson_gw

knitted edgings

sandra_ferguson
16 years ago

I'm new here....I've lost a knitted edging pattern that I used several years ago, and wonder if anyone here has a favorite one they'd share. (I'd like one that isn't too deep.) I'll be glad to share the other 2 I have, if anyone's interested.

Comments (13)

• Carol_Ann
    16 years ago

Here are a few: edgings . I haven't used any of them yet but Knitting Pattern Centralhas tons of links for all kinds of things -- someone here told me about it -- it's a good one to bookmark.

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks.......I believe I surfed over there yesterday, looking at edging patterns. Here's one I use...(as you can see, I like simple)

Cast on 8 stitches.

Row 1: Knit 3, yarn over, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 3. (9 stitches)
    Rows 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10: Knit.
    Row 3: Knit 3, yarn over, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 4. (10 stitches)
    Row 5: Knit 3, yarn over, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 5. (11 stitches)
    Row 7: Knit 3, yarn over, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 6. (12 stitches)
    Row 9: Knit 3, yarn over, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 7. (13 stitches)
    Row 11: Knit 3, yarn over, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 8. (14 stitches)
    Row 12: Bind off 6 stitches, knit to the end of the row. (8 stitches)
    Repeat rows 1-12 for pattern. Continue in pattern until the edging, when
    slightly stretched, fits across bottom edge of towel. Complete edging,
    binding off all stitches at row 12.

• trudymom
    16 years ago

sandra, I have never done knitted edges. I am going to try yours. Thank you!

Trudy

• trudymom
    16 years ago

sandra, what do you use your knitted edgings for, and what yarn and needle do you use?

Thank you!

• Zipper_TX
    16 years ago

Thank you Sandra! I'm sitting here with a pair of needles and some yarn and have knit your pattern, it's easy to remember and it looks really nice ;-)

• msmeow
    16 years ago

Trudy, I'm not Sandra :) but I can tell you that knitted edings can be used anywhere you would use purchased lace, like on tablecloths or pillowcases or blouses, etc. I've done some crocheted & tatted edgings, but I don't think I've ever knitted any.

Donna

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Where you plan to use your edging determines what you use to make it. A couple Christmases ago I made stockings for our daughter and her fiance, from pieces of an old, cutter blue and white quilt. I then knitted red lace edging, using very small needles....2s maybe.....and red crochet thread...I sewed this to the back of the cuff and it hung down over the blue and white...looked pretty...her room is in blues, so I didn't want anything red and green. I've also used this sort on the edge of handtowels.
    You can also use regular yarn and make an edging to sew on the bottom of a sweater (instead of ribbing), around the neck, sleeves, etc. I'm going to have to get started on a baby blanket pretty soon, and as it'll be pretty plain (just a seed stitch), I thought I'd jazz it up with a pretty edging. Here is another that is very easy.....the only change is at the end of the rows. My one suggestion is to mark one side (doesn't matter which...just so you know)...I generally just use a safety pin..but this just makes it clear, at a glance, which side you're working on....just a knit row, or a 'lace' row.
    cast on 8 stitches
    row 1 K3, YO, K2 tog, YO, K3 (9 stitches)
    row 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 Knit
    row 3 K3, YO, K2 tog, Yo, K4 (10 st)
    row 5 K3, YO, K2 tog, YO, K5 (11 st)
    row 7 K3, YO, K2 tog, YO, K6 (12 st)
    row 9 K3, YO, K2 tog, YO, K7 (13 st)
    row 11 K3, YO, K2 tog, YO, K8 (14 st
    Row 12 bind off 6 stitches, leaving only 8..knit these 8. With these 8 you're ready to start the pattern again

• Zipper_TX
    16 years ago

I've printed out both of yours and since this is totally new for me I don't have any edging patterns lol but here's a link I got from doing a google maybe there's something on this page that you can use ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: full page of lace patterns

• trudymom
    16 years ago

Thank you for your wonderful explanations!!

Trudy

• tommysmommy
    16 years ago

There's a woman at the local yarn shop who buys knitted gloves for her daughters each year and knits on a lovely lacy edging at the wrists. I think that's a swell idea.

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's a good idea. I'm going to knit some fingerless mitts for my daughter, and lace around the upper edge of them would be pretty (maybe, the finger 'edge', too.....I'll have to try that out when the time comes, to see how it'd look...it might get in the way.)

• oldrock
    16 years ago

At the risk of being redundant, dare I suggest the book by Nicky Epstein, Knitting on the Edge (check your library for a copy)? While the choices can be overwhelming, the variety shows lacy edges for accessories and substantial edges for embellishing scarves and sweaters. It also has new twists on fringe and pompoms. A nice section shows how the same edge knits up in various yarns.

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tommysmommy, Tell the woman at the Yarn shop that if she REALLY wants to impress folks, she'll knit the gloves herself. I can't find my book right now, but have knitted lots of gloves, and people are always amazed. One Christmas, everyone got a scarf, hat and matching gloves. They are really easy to do for anyone who is comfortable with double pointed needles...they don't take long, as there is not really much knitting involved....start from the wrist up..ribbing.....knit round till you come to the place where the base of the thumb will be....put stitches on a holder...then, knit up to the base of the fingers.... knit each finger separately on double pointed needles, making them the appropriate length (I have a friend with extremely long fingers and she said my gloves were the first to really fit her)....go back and pick up the thumb hole stitches and knit a thumb with the double pointed needles...

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions