Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easy Crochet Afghan Ideas?

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 15:10

Hi everyone,

I'm getting a jump start on Christmas this year and I'm going to make an afghan for one of my friends as a present.
His favorite colors are red and black. I was thinking of making the afghan red and adding a black border and/or fringe. I bought four skeins of RH yesterday at Wal-Mart (two burgundy and two black).

My only problem is finding a pattern to make the afghan. I haven't decided to make one piece (i.e. a ripple or crocheting rows) or something like a granny square. I've been looking at the patterns on Crochet Pattern Central and in my pattern books. So many to choose from! I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easy Crochet Afghan Ideas?

You're already familiar with Crochet Pattern Central, so this will be easy to find. Check out the Lumberjack Flannel Afghan at CPC.

You will be taken to Crochetville, where you will get the directions and lots of pictures of differenct color combinations.

I love this afghan for warmth, ease of execution and wow factor. Black and red will be a perfect choice for color choice. Definately a manly choice.

o

I agree with yarnlover's choice. Look at how nice this one turned out in red and black.

Here is a link that might be useful: afghan

o

Brad, I don't have any suggestions for you, but I was thinking about you the other day. Did you ever finish Ursala?

Tami

o

Thanks for the link. I'll consider it as an idea for now.
Tami, no I never got around to making Ursula. I've been too busy gardening and doing trades. However, she's on my project list. I love the idea and I might try to put something together here. You know, what colors to use, how to make the tentacles, do I want them to move like in the musical, that sort of thing. I'll let you all know what I decide.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I am going the granny stripe blanket in purple and black for my son and it's very easy. Since I am only doing 2 rows of each color I don't finish off to change colors and a border will cover that up so no ends to weave in. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: granny stripe blanket

o

Mary, I really like that pattern! Thanks for the link!

How do you change colors without finshing off? I love crocheting granny squares in different colors but weaving in the ends really takes up time.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I like the afghan in the basket weave crochet pattern on lionbrand.com's free patterns site. The last I looked there, it was pictured in a dark green, and you could not see the texture. It is a handsome pattern, all double crochet and very warm. I add a border of single crochet in main color, half double crochet or half double crochet and then a chain 1 for the 2nd row of the border in a contrasting color and then the main color for one or two rows of single crochet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here