Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could you please answer a ? from a lurker?

Posted by nancylouise (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 15:10

Afternoon all, if you don't mind, could you answer a question for me? Well, actually it is for my 85 year old mom. She wants to knit this scarf. It is a Redheart yarn pattern called Shimmer Knit & Purl Scarf (lw2972). She doesn't understand what the 2nd row directions mean(and neither do I). It is as follows:
Rows 1 & 3 (right side): *P4, k2, repeat from * to end.
Rows 2,4,6,8 and 10 : Work sts as they appear.
You use 4mm needles, 2 skeins of yarn. Finished scarf is a diagonal box pattern. Thanks for any info you can offer. NancyLouise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could you please answer a ? from a lurker?

Hey Nance...pretty scarf, goofy directions, what I would take the directions to mean,
if it is a pearl stitch, pearl, if it is a knit stitch, knit.. have your mom try that for the 12 rows and see what comes out.

I work at a nursing home/Assisted living facility (reception) and when i don't have anything to do i crochet, but I knit also...and get questions from residents when they are trying new patterns, and then i get stumped when they have old patterns!! debby

o

Thanks for the quick response debby! I'll pass on the info to my mom when I call her tonight. NancyLouise

o

I agree with Nancy Louise. Do what you see. If you see a knit stitch, then knit it. If you see a purl stitch, then purl it.

o

Same as the others have said , purl the purl stitches and knit the the knit stitches. sounds like it's a ribbing pattern to me. Hope this helps.

o

I just downloaded the pattern (just put the name of the pattern in the search box) and the picture doesn't show a rib. It's more like diagonal blocks of stitches. It's pretty.

I do have a question, though. Does this scarf have an edge of K2 on both sides?

o

Incase she can't "read" the stitches...a purl stitch has the bump, the knit stitch doesn't. You'll get a ribbing with this pattern, so make sure it looks like that (may take a few rows to get it to look that way). The probable stitch pattern will be *P2, K4, repeat from * to end.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here