Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

trying to make a bassinette purse

sheilajoyce_gw
18 years ago

I want to make two of those little girl's basinette purses for the daughters of my DD's co worker. Since I am knitting for her December baby, I thought I would try this pattern.

It is a little crocheted drawstring purse. When you open it up and fold the sides down, it is a bassinette with a little dolly inside. Well, I could not find the little size needed for the dolly, but I did find 2 little plastic Care Bears. Now I need two margerine tubs for the base of the purse (they become the bassinette base) and since the purse is crocheted, the print on the side of the tubs will tend to show through all the holes. So I think I will buy some yummy Rondele cheese spread and use that "tub" as the basinette base.

Has anyone else here tried this pattern? I do wish I could find one of those little pink plastic baby dolls for the inside, but I guess the bears will have to do.

Comments (9)

• donner
    18 years ago

My mother made some years ago, she used a detergent bottle cut to the size needed. It was an oval instead of round. Where did you find the pattern? It brings back warm fuzzies. :)
    Donna

• sheilajoyce_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Someone posted a link to it here some time ago, and I printed it out.

• TeriNY
    18 years ago

This is the pattern I use. It doesn't require the margarine tub. As for a doll, when I'm done with the cradle I take it to Wal Mart. Each one comes out just a little different in size, depending on tension. So, I see which doll fits in the cradle. I've always been able to find a doll that fits in Wal Mart's toy department.

Here is a link that might be useful: cradle purse

• Red_Confetti
    18 years ago

Here are a couple more for you - the first one uses a plastic margarine tub, the second one doesn't...

Baby Bassinette/Purse

Cradle Purse

• sheilajoyce_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I made one with Red Heart worsted. I do not recommend RH brand for this project as it is so stiff. Caron's Simply Soft would have been better, but I did not have any on hand. Anyhow, I made a little pillow and blanket for the Care Bear, and used a Rondole cheese spread tub for the liner. Theirs is all white and has no writing on it, so it is prettier to use. Will make the other as soon as I eat the cheese in the next tub.

• kfbm
    18 years ago

I found an updated version of this old charmer. Annie's Attic has a pattern book that uses plastic as support for sides. The whole thing is crocheted and you don't see the plastic. I think quilters use it to make patterns. Very easy to find. What is really great about this pattern is that you can make it in different sizes depending on the weight of yarn and hook size. Another great attraction is that they also sell those cute love alot babies in different sizes, very small about the size of little care bears up to the bigger sizes. The pattern book also has directions for a complete wordrobe for a girl and boy. I just love it. I won first prize at the fair with this.

• gluecille
    18 years ago

I had forgotten all about those. I made them for my girls when they were little. I used the bottom of a two liter soda bottle, just popped it off at the base. I may have to try this again. Thanks for reminding me!!!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, my DD called to say the package had arrived and the purses were a great success according to her coworker, the expectant mom. Her girls played with them all night and took them to bed too. As it turns out, the Care Bears were perfect as one of the girls is just crazy about Care Bears. One bear was yellow and one was pink, so I made matching bassinettes for each bear in white and the bear's color for the trim. I used the Baby Bassinette/Purse pattern that Red Confetti located for you and made a little pillow, blanket and round liner that they could pull out and fuss over as little mothers. Used up some more scraps getting these projects done, and I always like to use up those odds and ends.

• hmksd
    16 years ago

This website may help others looking for little dolls for bassinet or cradle purses.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.beadedsocks.net/CradlePurse.html

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions