Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
interpreting skein label symbols????

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 23, 06 at 14:14

I am making a darling cardigan for our expected grandson. My sister found the cutest yarn and pattern, and it is much more than I usually pay for yarn and is fancy with little fluffs of fiber, so I want to tell DD how to launder it. But I am not sure of the symbols. It is Italian made for Tahki Stacy Charles in NYC; cotton, polyamid, and acrylic fibers; and called Pom Pom. Sooooo cute.

Here are the symbols--30 degrees I understand as cold water. A triangle with an X through it??? I see the iron symbol, so it is ironable. A circle with a P in it. A square with a circle in it and an X through it--is that supposed to be a washing machine so hand wash only? And a square with a horizontal dash in the middle of it.

After spending a generous amount on the sweater and because it is soooo darling, I do not want it ruined the first time she launders it. Usually I use acrylic since we live in warm climates and since family allergies mean I avoid wool and anmimal hairs. I know she cannot just throw it in the washer and dryer, as I usually indicate, but I need to explain the care procedures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: interpreting skein label symbols????

Sheila Joyce, those symbols can be VERY confusing, can't they? I found a website that has helped me tremendously. The circle with the P means dry clean only. The square with the circle and X means do not dry clean.

Here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: symbols

o

Thank you, Donna. No bleach, no machine wash, cool water, flat dry, dry clean with only one particular cleaning fluid.

o

Okay, I'm really nosy so I googled your yarn. It is super cute - your new grandson is going to look adorable.

If I am making something for someone that isn't machine washable and dryable (so, most knitted things), I like to actually make the ball band into a tag and wrap it around the item with a ribbon.

Makes me feel like I am officially off the hook for conveying care instructions (although in this case, I'd tell her the translation as well)

Congratulations on your new grandbaby, by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: in case anyone else is nosy

o

I love it too. They had a sample sweater in the shop, and the pattern book too. I am using two colors of pom pom--blue and yellow -- and white that's plain. It is a summer/spring weight sweater.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here