Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I knit a serape this way?

Posted by summer_fashion (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 9, 09 at 11:48

I was thinking that if I used a 39 inch circular needle and cast on about 160 cast on's then knit them and when I reached the end of the 160 knit stitches (garter stitches), I would move the needle with all the completed stitches back to my right hand (I'm left handed) and do the garter stitches again and keep going this way till I had the proper length for a serape then bind off and start another 160 cast on's and knit them to the same length as the first serape panel then when I finished the second panel, I would sew the top, leaving enough to put your head through to wear like a serape. Will this plan work? Margaret

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I knit a serape this way?

I often use a circular needle when knitting big things, but when you knit up all your stitches you simply turn the whole thing over and start back the way you came....just treat the circular needle as a straight needle. In this way you'll be knitting back and forth on both sides ....after all, garter stitch is created when you knit every rows...2 rows create one garter. That's what I'd do...just knit back and forth till you get to where you wish your neck hole to be...then decide how many stitches it will take to make a decent sized 'head hole'.....subtract those from whatever number of stitches you have on your needle. Divide that number by 2 and you'll know how many stitches will appear on either side of the neck hole....so, knit those stitches and then bind of number of stitches for the neck hole....then knit the remainder of the row.. then knit to where you bound off and create, in whatever way you choose, the same number of stitches you bound off, then finish knitting to the end... you now have a neck hole in the middle. Then, knit back and forth down the front till you have the same number of garters you have on the back....bind off and you're done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here