Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP!! I just can't do it.

Posted by gracie01 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 10:30

I have a shawl pattern with homespun yarn & a size J crochet hook. I need to chain 139 first. I've twice ripped out my work because the chains "disappear" to my eye. Should I try a larger hook? I'm trying to chain loosely, but I still can't seem to "find" the stitches.

p.s. this is my first attempt with homespun yarn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP!! I just can't do it.

I can understatand this, and I'm sure others here will be more helpful than I--but are you saying you are having trouble getting the chain done, or is it difficult to work the second row into those chains?

I don't think a larger hook would help.

o

It is the yarn.

o

Well it is the yarn, but how can Gracie get through this difficult start? I was wondering if you could make your starting chain with the homespun and a second thinner yarn of contrasting color and then clip it out later. Just a thought--I've never tried it.

o

While you could do as socks suggested, I expect you will have the same trouble all through your piece. Crocheting with homespun is a chore. At least in knitting, you can see all your stitches on the needle. You might try crocheting the entire piece with another yarn or thread held together with the homespun.

o

Thanks all, you know I think I'll try some scrap yarn with the homespun. I made the chain last night, then when making the first row of stitches I had some chain left over, but my stitch count was correct, so obviously I was putting more than one stitch in each chain. Wish me luck, or else the yarn is going back to the store.

o

Keep us posted on how it goes. I think it's a very forgiving yarn as far as small errors go. Good luck.

o

I DID IT!!! I'm happy to report that I used a baby yarn along with the homespun for my chain. It still wasn't easy to find those darn stitches, but it sure helped. Also I used a K hook instead of J. I can't believe the difference in using that K hook. With the J hook the yarn kept snagging on the hook; not so with the K. I'm already done with 4 rows. I am mostly crocheting by "feel" instead of sight, since I've been crocheting for many years. This yarn is defintely NOT for beginners. Thanks everyone for all your help.

o

Glad to hear you wiped that homespun into shape. It is a bit of a challenge.

o

I think I remember having a similar experience with that yarn. You are right, it's not for beginners (or quitters either!) I assume your final product will be bigger because of the bigger hook so watch that.

Congratulations!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here