Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylvialee_gw

striped socks

sylvialee
14 years ago

I am knitting with striped wool for the first time and have finished the 1st sock.

Question - Is the striping on the second sock supposed to start at exactly the same colour? I would have to discard quite a long piece of the wool to get the striping colour sequence exactly the same. Does it really matter?

Comments (7)

• Vickey__MN
    14 years ago

Depends on the person. Some like them to match, some don't. My DD says she didn't care, so hers do not match. If you don't care, start sock where-ever you want. If you want them to match, discard the yarn!

Vickey-MN

• Vickey__MN
    14 years ago

As my sister said, and I have added this to my "Words of wisdom"

THERE IS NO KNITTING POLICE"....do what you want!

Vickey-MN

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Sylvia, my trick is to use a digital kitchen scale, if using a 100 gm ball of yarn, and divide it in half, rewinding it into two balls. I try to have the "begining" ends matching at that point. If they don't, (and I start both socks at the same time on two different needles so I get them close to matching), Just unravel the second ball til it matches, and save that yarn. You might need it to finish the toe of the second sock. By all means, don't throw it away! And like Vickey said, there is no knitting police, so if it doesn't bother you, start wherever you like.

Tami

• Vickey__MN
    14 years ago

Oh I should have worded it like Tami..don't ever THROW AWAY the yarn..by discard it I mean add it to that pile you accumilate (or will) of sock yarn that you "may need some day".

Vickey-MN

• sylvialee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ladies for your advice. I have finished the socks. I didn't take the time or trouble to match the stripping on the yarn. The socks look fine to me and were for me anyway being as they are my first try with the stripping yarn.

YOU ARE RIGHT VICKEY - there is no Knitting police.
    On to my next pair (started already) This sock knitting is so addictive. I try to sneak in a few rows everywhere - on the phone, at the hairdressers, etc,etc, even whenever I walk by my knitting. Is everyone this bad?

• Vickey__MN
    14 years ago

Oh did I forget to mention that part? Addicting is not even the word. I LOVE to knit socks, and do not even want to finish my other projects...even resent my other projects because they take away from my sock knitting.

Check out these sock patterns.....

Monkey socks have been my favorites...though circle socks have been an close second. I want to knit almost all of them and of course am not even close.

Vickey_MN

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Sock Patterns

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Congratulations!

Addictive? You bet! Tho it's not as much fun if you do some for profit. I have a friend who comissioned me for FOUR pair of wool hunting socks, by Nov.'s hunting season. I have two done now and have acutally got a callus on my left index finger from pushing the needle back thru the stitch! Of course, when I get finished, I might have the $ for a new computer if I need it! I told him an astronomical price, thinking I would price myself out of the work. It didn't work. I should have told him $200 a pair! But I didn't.

Tami

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions