Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ntt_hou

Hello, I'm new to this forum...

ntt_hou
12 years ago

Hi Everyone! I've been around in GW for years but never been to this forum.

I'm looking for support in machine knitting. Do any of you do machine knitting here?

A bit about my skills and knowledge:

Hand crochet: Learned myself through books & magazines. Knowledgeable enough & experienced but have not done it in a long while due to my arm weakening muscles.

Hand knitting: My mom taught me the basic stitch (as in 1 type of stitch) and found out that my weak fingers (due to disability) could not hold the needles firmly. Stitches kept falling off from the needle.

Machine knitting: not much knowledge nor experience. Although, I've been trying to read all I could online and it looks like something I could do.

I purchased a Brother knitting machine on eBay but haven't yet received it. While waiting for the machine, I thought I better look for a machine knitting support group. Wish I know someone locally but since I'm around GW often, I thought I'd start here. Although, if you know of any other support group for machine knitting online, please share.

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• acraftylady
    12 years ago

Welcome. You might also check yahoo groups as there might be a board there to join that is specific to your model. My friend has done machine knitting for years and sells her kids hats at the crafts shows and does great business. She also does the intricate Christmas stockings with the patterns as her machines are programable. I would love to get into this but I have't the first clue on electronic knitters or what to look for so need to have her help me one of this days. She has 3 machines for her business she has aquired over the years. Mary

• ntt_hou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement Mary. Since starting this thread, I have found a local machine knitting support group. I have sent them an email and awaiting for respond. It's a weekend and people are busy so I'm expecting to be a bit slow with responds.

I'm not in a health condition to make this into a business. Just want to make it a hobby to keep me busy. If anything, I may do items for charity.

But you should get into it! Especially, when you have the advantage of knowing a friend who has experience in machine knitting.

• acraftylady
    12 years ago

Oh lucky you. I have a friend who has been a machine knitter for 30yrs. She does kids ear flap hats at the craft shows and has a big following of customers her hats are so nice and she has such wonderful program patterns for her machines. I don't know what brand machines she has but several good ones and she also does the intricate christmas stockings because she can program the patterns in.

I can't knit at all but I can crochet so my broblem would be if you have to knit to piece stuff together it wouldn't work for me but I would love to do something like this one day. I need to get with my friend and find out what to look for in a knitting machine if I were to buy an electronic one as I want one you could program the patterns in. What model brother did you get? Please post back how you like it as this is something I have always been interested in. Mary

• ntt_hou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh Mary, I am so sorry for not responding back. I've been so involved in machine knitting ever since that I've forgotten all about this thread until today. I really apologize.

Did you ever get a chance to engage in machine knitting?

I love it and now, I own several knitting machines. Among them are a standard gauge Brother KH-965 (electronic), a bulky Brother KH-260 (punch card), and a mid-gauge Artisan 70D. My main focus is lace knitting. I've enjoyed this hobby tremendously.

For some unknown reason, my brain decided to recall this thread that has been absent from my mind for over a year. LOL, talking about a senior looooong moment :]

I hope, you're still around. Looking forward to hear from you.

• vickyge
    10 years ago

i am new here too, I can't crochet at all but I can knit . so my problem would be if you have to crochet to piece stuff together it wouldn't work for me but I would love to do something like this one day.

• ntt_hou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vickyge, welcome and that is the crocodile crochet stitch on those booties. They are cute.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz
More Discussions