Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many ply?

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 08 at 22:43

I have been looking on EBay lately for new pattern books, and am somewhat puzzled by the mention of various ply yarns the patterns call for. Some of these patterns may be European.

What is 8 ply as compared to the 4 ply worsted? Is it twice the width?

What is 5 ply?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many ply?

I think I know this one lol. I bought myself a spindle and some roving so I've been making yarn.

From what I've been reading, ply is how many singles are twisted together to make one yarn.

Twist two singles together and you have two ply.

Take a piece of scrap yarn and untwist a bit of it if it is 4 ply you should see 4 pieces of single yarn twisted together.

o

I found this info on this website:

http://www.yarnforward.com/tension.html

8-Ply
Used in Australia and New Zealand for Double Knitting or DK.
5-Ply
Used in Australia and New Zealand. 26 stitches to 10 cm (4 inches) on a 3.75 mm (US 5) needle. See also Quickerknit
Hope this helps!! :~)marlene

o

Zipper, I know what a ply is. I just wondered at all the patterns for 8 ply, etc. If 4 ply is worsted, I might think 8 ply is really thick yarn, but that would not explain all the patterns for 8 ply, IMHO.

Thanks, Marlene. So 8 ply is clearly thinner yarn than the 4 ply worsted! Shouldn't be so complicated.

o

Sorry, just trying to help won't happen again ;(

o

Zipper,

Thanks for your input. Did I say something to hurt your feelings? I did not intend any such thing and apologize for any wording that did so. Your explanations were right on. But it is still so confusing when an 8 ply is finer yarn than a 4 ply, isn't it?

o

Thank you SheilaJoyce.

o

2 ply lace weight
3 ply, 4 ply fingering
8 ply, double knit(dk)sport weight
10 ply Aran worsted weight
12 ply Chunky bulky

o

That chart is good,quivit. Now my question is that worsted weight in the USA is 4 ply. How is Aran worsted weight different with its 8 ply????? Is it thicker? A lot thicker?

o

This is pure speculation, but I think that in the U.S. we are used to the acrylic yarns. In acrylics, the individual ply is heavier so a four-ply acrylic is a heavier yarn than a four-ply wool. Is this a correct assumption?

Annie

o

In the U.S. forget about the ply. You can have a 4 ply sock
yarn that is more like a baby weight despite the number of
ply. On the other hand you can have a 1 ply bulky weight like Brown Sheep's. Aran weight in my experience is usually a tad more tightly spun and runs between a sport and closer to a worsted weight. But, because of how it is spun I guess, a true aran makes those cables "pop" in the pattern rather than making them almost flat and less noticeable. If you want to look at an interesting book that talks about ply and the nature of yarn and different fibers, see _The Knitter's Book of Yarn_ by Clara Parkes

o

Quviut: Thanks! And I will check out the recommended book. Personally, I tend to ignore little details like the yarn recommendations anyway, using whatever I have that will give me the correct guage, or making adjustments for yarns that don't. I tend to knit a bit more loosely than most designers, so I often find myself having to use entirely different yarns or needles in order to get the sizing right on a project. One reason why I like to make up my own patterns, I guess.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here