Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tension of stitches on the needle

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 07 at 21:58

I've done some knitting and ripping this week while re-learning to knit again. I watched some very helpful on-line videos. I'm having a problem making the stitches too tight which makes it difficult to insert a needle. While watching the videos I noticed that the knitter doesn't tug much on the stitch as she transfers it to the other needle; she just simply keeps the tips of the needles close and transfers the stitch and then begins the next one.

What is the basic principle of determining the tension of a stitch on the needle? How much should I tug on the yarn to snug it up, if at all?

Currently I'm just practicing the basics but my first projects will be scarves and dishcloths.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tension of stitches on the needle

Jenn, the only time I tug a bit to snug up a stitch is when I'm using double pointed needles and knitting in the round, and even then, not very much. From what you wrote, it sounds like you are tugging on all of your stitches, which I don't think is a good thing. It will take you forever to make something if you do that, and the tension won't just be in your stitches, you'll be full of tension, too, LOL. Try knitting without tugging on any of the stitches and see what you think.

o

Do NOT tug. Just move the yarn over the needle and make the stitch complete by transferring the stitch to the right needle.

o

The only time I tug on my stitches is when I first start a needle, as in the first stitch on double points or the first stitch of a row. That stitch is always the loosest. Otherwise, just practice will help you get the tension better.

Tami

o

Thank you. I finished my first dishrag last week and it looks pretty good if I say so myself. I figured out how to just transfer the yarn to the right needle without tightening it. It takes some practice to get the hang of it.

I may start a new one tonight, one with hearts, using red yarn. I'm using Lion Brand mercerized cotton, good for learning. I hope to move on to scarves soon, using Lion Brand 'Thick and Chunky', but it's so hot right now that scarf season seems like only a dream.

Thanks again for your help.

Jen

o

Quit with the cotton yarn, already....and, move to something else....anything but cotton, which has no give to it whatsoever...it's like knitting with rope! When you pull on the 2 ends of a piece of cotton yarn, it does nothing..... there is NO give to it - try the same with a piece of wool yarn, or even an acrylic...lots of give. So, move on to something else and see it it isn't easier to work with. Make a scarf. If you need some easy instructions, let me know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here