Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
embroidery on crochet afghan

Posted by rosajoe (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 21:48

I love this afghan pattern and I want to make it, but, the roses are embroidered after the afghan is crocheted.

How messy does this look on the back???? How can you cover up the back????

Here is a link that might be useful: RosebudCrochetAfghan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: embroidery on crochet afghan

It is cross stitched, and if you are really good at cross stitching the colors on the back will look the same as the front. No knots. I think that is why they say this one is for the VERY experienced. I am not one of those people, however I would try it. If you weave the colored ends under the same color as the stitches, the back won't look bad, just not as perfect as the front. I can live with that. Why not do it??? It is a beautiful afghan even before the embroidery. Make it and begin the embroidery the best way you can figure out. If the back looks acceptable, keep going. Otherwise rip out the embroidery part, and you'll have a beautiful white afghan. The completed project would be something to be very proud of.

-Babka

o

When doing embroidery over knitting or crocheting, remember to NOT pull your stitches tight. Barely snug is probably the best.

Also, be sure that the embroidery thread you're using is colorfast, or else it may ruin your hard work when it needs to be cleaned.

Very nice pattern >>>>> GO FOR IT!

o

Did you know (I just discovered) that there is a cross stitching forum right here on Garden Web. Here is a link to a thread where someone talks about the backside of cross stitching. It IS possible to make the backside look almost a good as the front. With a little practice, you can make that afghan a real heirloom project. Go for it!!!

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the thread on cross stitch back side.

o

Thank you very much!!! I did not even think about looking for a cross stitching forum! I am finishing an afghan my sis's bday in November and THEN I plan to start on this afghan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here