Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone know of any good knitting books?

Posted by vicki_il (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 29, 06 at 20:57

Hi again -
I'm really having a problem with my knitting and was wondering if anyone has any advice about any instructional books? I'd really love to be able to get a handle on this but I'm not doing so good.
Thanks!
Vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone know of any good knitting books?

There are animated online sites that explain stitches. Try stitchguide.com

o

here's another good one with videos - Continental & English

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitting Help

o

If you want a book, the Teach Yourself Visually books are very good. They have several for different ones, Yoga, dog training etc. I love mine ...Teach Yourself Visually, Knitting & Crocheting. by Wiley Publishing.

o

I really like the videos at knitting help ath profsusan mentioned. I have the embarassingly titled "I Can't Believe I'm Knitting!" book at home (was the exclamation point really necessary?).

Easy to find at Michael's or similar and I find the illustrations fairly easy to follow.

But more than that, is there a yarn shop in your community? A lot of the time, it is easier to see some of these things in action and ask a real live person for help. Most dedicated yarn stores are staffed by experienced knitters who are willing to talk a newbie through the basics.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

o

i never get it right from instructions in a book.
almost always end up going to the yarn store for help.
and as stupid as this sounds i think i'm going to need to go there to get yarn overs thuroughly explained.
they always come out different each time i do them.
diggerb

o

I've found this book very helpful:
"The Knitters Book of Finishing Techniques" by Nancie M. Wiseman. In addition to the contents, the book is spiral bound which lets it lay flat, instead of flopping shut at the most inconvenient time.
I also purchased it as a gift for my best friend and she likes it too.

May I also suggest that you search out a Knitting Guild or group? I found a Guild through my local yarn shop and even though we've both been knitting for 40 years each, we learn something new each and every time we attend the 'meeting'.!! Sometimes from a rep or speaker, but always from another knitter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here