Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally_grower

Please Help with pattern

sally_grower
11 years ago

Thank you so much for the offer of help Donna, I'll type out what the pattern says and then tell you what I don't understand....hope that works! I started with the back.

BACK

Cast on 121 sts. Purl 1 row on RS, and then knit 1 row on WS to create a hem edge. No problem here!

Work (rows 1-4 of Vine Lace pat) 3 times. No problem here!

Work in St st (knit on RS, purl on WS) until back measures 3 inches from cast on edge, ending with a WS.

PROBLEM!

3 inches from cast on edge....if I only go up 3 inches where's the rest of the back. I know this sounds stupid, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how this pattern works. There is no other mention of working the back.

It's in the September 2012 issue of Creative Knitting, and it's called My First Sweater, just in case any of you subscribe. I'm fairly new to knitting and this is supposed to be an easy pattern.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give me.

Comments (9)

• Vickey__MN
    11 years ago

What is the next set of directions?

• Vickey__MN
    11 years ago

There is no eratta for this YET, but you can fill out a form and they'll check it out for you.

Vickey

Here is a link that might be useful: Revisions creative knitting

• sally_grower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Vickey the next thing listed is the Side Shaping
    . I'm not familiar with the term "eratta". Can you tell me what it means please. Thanks
    Sally

• Vickey__MN
    11 years ago

Errata...error in printing. You nan look for the corrections in patterns by looking for an errata.

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

What does it say about Side Shaping?

• sally_grower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bingo Colleen....I think you got it. I didn't bother to read on, because i couldn't get past that darn thing being only 3 inches long.

Side Shaping
    Dec row (RS) K1,skp,knit to last 3 sts, k2tog,k1-119 sts.
    Rep Dec row (every 4th row) 9 times more - 101 sts.
    Rep Dec row (every 6th row) 0 times 101 sts.

Continue even in St st until back measures 16 inches from cast on edge, ending with a WS row.

This may be a beginner pattern, but I think I'm in over my head! This sounds like a foreign lanuage to me!

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

Wow! I offered to help and by the time I get here you've already got help.

Looks like you just put a block on it because it didn't say back anymore, but instead was talking about the side. But you've figured it out, right?

The one piece of advice I can give you now is the same advice I give about trying new recipes - read it all the way through before you begin.

Ladies, thanks for helping Sally, and sorry I was late to the party. What a great group.

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

I suspected that might be the case, having just finished my first jumper (a different one, not that one :-) ). As you've worked out now, "Side Shaping" was just a heads up to let you know the pattern would have some decreases (or in some cases, increases) every so often to shape the sides, in this case make them gradually a little narrower.

• Vickey__MN
    11 years ago

Sally, don't panic about the pattern, just take it one step at a time, and you can do it.
    Make the border until it measures 3"...you got that part
    Then do your first decrease row (easy)
    Don't overwhelm yourself with ALL the directions, just follow one set at a time, you'll get there.

Vickey

Sponsored
More Discussions