Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Left handed knitter-glittens

Posted by summer_fashion (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 20, 09 at 18:49

I'm left handed and was told by someone who is very expert in knitting that as a left hander I would have a hard time knitting the glittens that I got the patterns for. Is there any special way for a left hander to knit glittens? Would all knitting patterns be hard to work with because they're for right handed knitters? I have a lot of nice patterns but I guess they're all for right handed knitters. Thank you. Margaret

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Left handed knitter-glittens

I don't think your left handedness would affect you knitting so much as being a beginner knitting a difficult pattern like glittens. In my experience with left handers they don't do everything with their left hands. My husband is left handed and he eats and writes with his left hand and throws a ball with his right.

You use both hands to knit and if you are a beginner it will be awkward at first anyway. Try knitting a scarf first. Then you can get the tension right. If I could I'd show you how to knit the European way. Where you hold the wool in your right hand and knit with the left.

You won't know unless you try. Give it a whirl. Don't let someone else tell you what you can or can't do. You can if you want to.

o

Okay I too cannot imagine why it would matter. And the only way to find out is to try! IF you are worried about it, make the first pair you try out of a cheap acrylic yarn rather than an expensive yarn (if that were your plan).

Vickey-MN

o

I'm a lefty and have knitted for over 40 years...I've never had a second thought about it. It's crochet that I sometimes have a challenge with.

Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here