Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
questrist

favorite dishcloth patterns?

Carol_Ann
16 years ago

I want to make 7 dishcloths (one for each day of the week) for a friend who remodeled her kitchen. I already like the ball band pattern and grandma's favorite, and I've made Chinese waves and a basketweave-seed stitch one that I didn't like knitting but the finished dishcloth is great. She'll get at least one sample of each of the first two patterns and maybe one of the others I've tried.

Do you have a favorite? Fun to knit and fun to use? I have a list of websites and patterns but I'm wondering what you actually have enjoyed for yourselves.

Thank you!!

Comments (31)

• ct_iris
    16 years ago

This is a good pattern to combine 2 colors. I don't know what it's called but all you do is K3 P3 across, and each row knit the purls and purl the knit stitches. Change colors after every 2 rows, carrying the yarn instead of cutting and weaving in the ends. I've made a number of dishcloths with this, usually with 27 stitches. It comes out almost like a plaid.

• Carol_Ann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks -- that sounds fun -- I'll try it out!

• trudymom
    16 years ago

ct iris, that sounds like a neat pattern. Could you explain the whole pattern to me please--do I cast on both strands together? Do you have a picture?

Thank you!

• jenn
    16 years ago

ct iris, I'd like to try that too, but I don't understand the part about "carrying the yarn instead of cutting and weaving in the ends".

Carol Ann, I finished Grandmother's Favorite. I like it a lot.

Thanks,
    Jen

• trudymom
    16 years ago

I think I have ct iris' pattern figured out. I used size 7 knitting needles, 2 different colors of cotton yarn

Cast on 27 stitches with color 1
    Row 1: Knit 3, Purl 3 with color 1
    Row 2: Knit 3, Purl 3 with color 1
    Row 3: Tie on color 2 and knit this new color with color 1 for one knit stitch. Then drop color 1 and continue with color 2 only with the Knit 3, Purl 3 pattern.
    Row 4: Knit 3, Purl 3 with color 2
    Row 5: Pick up color 1 and knit it one time with color 2. Drop color 2 and continue with the Knit 3, Purl 3 pattern with color 1
    Row 6: Knit 3, Purl 3 with color 1

Just continue this. Does it make any sense??? Feel free to correct me on anything. It is a fun pattern. Just take your time and keep your yarn organized.

• ct_iris
    16 years ago

Yes, that's right, Trudymom, except for the one knit stitch at the beginning of the new color row. The way I do it is just drop one color at the end of the row (after 2 rows of that color) and pick up the second color for another 2 rows. And since it's a multiple of 6 stitches plus 3, every row begins with knit 3, purl 3.
    What I also like about this pattern is that it's reversible. I've used it for scarves, too. It seems to go faster than knitting with one color because you see the pattern develop as you knit.

• trudymom
    16 years ago

ct iris, thanks for the correction. I made one dish cloth last night--really nice and different-- and will start another one using your way--I'm sure much easier. Thanks for the scarf idea too--great that it is reversible.

Thank you!!

• ct_iris
    16 years ago

Carol Ann, thanks for the picture. One of these days I'll have to try to figure out how to do that.
    Iris

• trudymom
    16 years ago

carol ann, thank you for the pictures--even though mine is done, I always enjoy looking at other's. Love your colors you picked. Thanks for the explanations and the pictures!

Trudy

• profsusan
    16 years ago

I don't have a favorite pattern but here is a link you should enjoy. I am basically a crocheter but I make dishcloths often. What I like to do is experiment with a new stitch before I make something large and a dishcloth is the perfect "swatch" to make.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitting Pattern Central - Dishcloths

• jenn
    16 years ago

Thanks for the pics, Carol Ann. I'll take pictures later of my first projects. I just completed the second one the other night. I'm disappointed though because the top border doesn't match the bottom...... that's because I had to rip out part of the bottom to start over and I didn't know how many rows were left. That's something I still need to learn... how to count rows. I just need to weave in the last strand of yarn.

• sandra_ferguson
    16 years ago

Does no one start at the corner, with 4 cast on stitches, and, making an increase at the beginning of each round, knit rows till it's half done...then, decrease at the beginning of each row, till you again have just 4 stitches? I use this same form to knit baby blankets....sometimes, instead of a garter stitch I do a moss stitch for the body of the blanket (you know....knit each pearl stitch and pearl each knit stitch), although I don't think the moss stitch gives it the stretch you get with garter stitch... I think it's prettier for a baby blanket.

• Carol_Ann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sandra, that's also called "Grandmother's favorite" and is one of the ones Jenn made and posted a photo of -- it's a great pattern -- I've seen it used for blankets of all sizes and a modification of it for a poncho in addition to dishcloths. It's a workhorse of a pattern!

• gardenway
    16 years ago

Sandra - yes! It is my favorite and old stand by, the pattern I use the most. Even though I have and have used patterns for fancier.

• winc_mama
    16 years ago

My favorite pattern is CO 43 stitches, Row 1 = K3 and P1 across the row, Row 2 = Knit across. Repeat until you've got a square. =)

This makes a really sturdy dishcloth and looks really pretty if you knit it with a variegated color!

• bernadettee
    16 years ago

Hi Carol Ann!

I love to knit dishcloths, and I have three favorites: the Grandma's Favorite that's already been mentioned, the seed stitch dishcloth from the Lion Brand Cotton ballband, and my current favorite is the DW/double woven (Darrell Waltrip) dishcloth from www.knittingnonsense.com.

The DW cloth is so much fun to make and it really brings out the color differences in variegated yarn so beautifully! I can usually get three cloths out of two balls of Lily Sugar'n Cream variegated using #7 needles. I just finished a set of three cloths using Sugar'n Cream Summerset, it has shades of peacock blue, orange, yellow and white and the colors are just gorgeous on these cloths! The trick is that in this pattern you bring the yarn forward and then slip two stitches before taking it back again to knit the next two stitches, so you end up with a series of bars running across the cloth. I just love it! I have LOTS of variegated yarn so I was really happy to find a pattern that shows it off so well!

Happy Stitching!
    Bernadette

• trudymom
    16 years ago

Bernadette, is your current favorite dishcloth pattern a free pattern online? I'd love to try it.

Thanks!

Trudy

• bernadettee
    16 years ago

Hi Trudy!

Yes, it is a free pattern online and I just realized that I wrote the website down wrong earlier!

Here is the link for it:

www.knittingknonsense.com/DW_cloth.html

Hope you enjoy making it! :)

Bernadette

• trudymom
    16 years ago

Bernadette, Thank you for getting the link for the dishcloth for me. It's a gorgeous pattern--I can hardly wait to try it.

Thanks!

Trudy

• bernadettee
    16 years ago

You're very welcome, Trudy! :)

Bernadette

• Carol_Ann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Love it! Thanks so much for posting -- that's the next one I'll make! :)

• deedeebaker
    16 years ago

Is there a special way to wash these to keep the colors from fading? And I noticed they tend to smell musty after a day or two.

• Carol_Ann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think the band has instructions about washing them in cold water but I just toss mine into warm/hot water with dishtowels, etc. and live with the fade. Not all the colors fade and I'm not sure if it's a brand difference or what -- haven't bothered to figure it out.

They have to be kept well-rinsed to keep from smelling... mine will last several days before I toss them in the wash. If you live where it's humid that can make a difference but we haven't had trouble with them. Even if you swap them out daily, though, they won't add much to your laundry, because they're so small. I'm making seven plus a few extra for my friend so she can change them as often as she likes :)

• HiDiane
    16 years ago

My favorite is here:

http://criminyjickets.blogspot.com/2006/07/garterlac-dishcloth.html

It's a lot of fun to knit and looks best with variegated yarn.

Diane

• trudymom
    16 years ago

Bernadette, I just finished your favorite dishcloth--just loved doing it--very easy too, and I think it would make a gorgeous scarf. Thank you for sharing.

Here's one that I haven't tried, but looks fun:

Here is a link that might be useful: Candy Corn Illusion

• ct_iris
    16 years ago

Diane, I just saw the "garterlac" pattern and had to start one right away! So far it's coming out great. Thanks.

As for keeping dishcloths from smelling, in addition to frequent washing (I too don't worry about fading) they need to dry out between uses. They look so pretty just draped artistically over my kitchen faucet that I consider it decorative as well as practical !!!

Iris

• crafty-mom
    16 years ago

Has anyone gone to the dishcloth boutique site? They have a lot in both knit and crochet. The addy is www.jimeyldesign.com/~disbout/index.There are pictures of them also.
    Carey

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

Great site - lot's of possibilities to use my cotton stash!!

Here is a link that might be useful: crafty-mom's site

• ginaginagina
    16 years ago

Also try www.knittingpatterncentral.com. They have hundreds and hundreds of free patterns and an entire section on dishcloths.

• pacmary
    12 years ago

I love the reversible basketweave. Pretty and practical, and easy to modify.

Cast on 39 sts.
    Rows 1-3: K1 P1 across
    Row 4 & 6: K1 P1 K1, *K3 P3 across to last 3 sts, K1 P1 K1
    Row 5: K1 P1 K1, *P3 K3 across to last 3 sts, K1 P1 K1
    Repeat rows 4-6 until almost square, then end with 3 rows of K1 P1 across and bind off.

Sponsored
More Discussions