Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crochet Skirt or Dress pattern for son's wedding??

Posted by profsusan (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 6, 06 at 17:25

Looking for a skirt pattern - a-line type, pineapple design.

My son is getting married in March in Florida. They are having a "Florida Formal" wedding...no tuxes, guyabera shirts, etc. Obviously a traditional Mother-of-the-bride/groom dress won't work. The color scheme is black and white plus light blue accents. I was thinking of a crocheted dress or tea length skirt. Most of the skirt patterns I've seen are too slim for me. Looking for something more a-line, perhaps more of a pineapple design. Have seen the skirts for purchase but so far haven't found a pattern. Would like to actually make one. Anybody know of any? Have one? Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crochet Skirt or Dress pattern for son's wedding??

Susan, I don't know if you've seen Lily Chin's Lace Dress pattern, but it is truly lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lace Dress

o

Thanks Donna. That is one that I have seen and considered but would make it a bit longer. Thought there might be others out there that I haven't found.

o

I have a couple of patterns for wedding dresses, which you could shorten, I suppose. Send an email to me at mudpie@thegraphiczone.net if you'd like me to scan photos and send you.

o

I just saw a pattern for a nice looking outfit. Google-Crystal Palace Yarn.com (space btw. words)Then click on patterns mentioned by yarn type. Click on Deco-ribbon, then right hand column, third from the bottom, called Deco-ribbon with Fling ruffle top & skirt.
May be too snug fitting, or maybe not.

o

pattern is knit and my knitting skills are very weak but the material is interesting. Thanks

o

Ok, another sign of my age. Not paying attention. Sorry about that. There must be more sites, I'll help you look. Now that I know what I'm supposed to be looking for!

o

found some old McCalls books in my attic (from 1974/75) and found a few crocheted dresses and skirts. Funny to see that even back then there were "midriff baring" patterns. Then I could do that (didn't) but now I'll just need to make the patterns longer or on those that are open at the waist (lacy type) I'll add a lining!

Thanks to all who helped, thought, etc. but I think I'm fine now. Will probably made one of the skirts that has a diamond pattern and filet or the one with the lacy bottom edging (from a halter dress pattern). Also found a lovely crocheted dress online and bought it so I'll see how that fits when it comes and if I never finish my skirt at least I'll have something. With all the festivities - rehearsal dinner, wedding and brunch, I can use more than one new outfit.

Thanks again to all.

o

Hope you have great time. Post a picture if you get it done.
Sorry, that should be WHEN you get it done. LOL

o

http://crochet.about.com/od/clothingforwomen/a/skirtfreepatts.htm

I found this site full of dress and skirt patterns that you can go through.

o

after looking at all the patterns again, I started on the Lily Chin dress last night. Figured I'd give it a try and then make the final decision since I can only order the Cool Crochet online - no one local has it. Since it is a black & white wedding, I am using the ebony. I have two to start and that should give me a good idea of how it may turn out. Will keep you posted. Thanks for all the ideas.

o
RE: Crochet Skirt or Dress pattern for son's wedding- update

looked at all the patterns again and started on the Lily Chin dress last night in Cool Crochet, ebony, from Bernat - it's a black & white wedding. Only have two so figured I'd see if I liked it before ordering all the rest since I can only find it online. Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you posted.

o

I am looking for an straight down (pencil skirt type) CROCHETED pineapple pattern. Also a long lacy pineapple jacket duster type thats almost to the ankle.
Any suggestions or patterns available for either of these?
Thanks so much!

o

Here are some that are beautiful!!

Here is a link that might be useful: crochet dresses

o

hey susan i just saw your project hope i could see the dress done too. it is a very beautiful looking dress... good luck with your sons wedding...lois

o

just checked in and saw that there was a new message for me. Should have mentioned awhile ago that I gave up on the project. Had most of the bodice done and then my son started with "you can't wear a 'thread' dress to my wedding"! Didn't want to upset him so went very traditional and bought a simple black off the shoulder, slit on left side, PLAIN dress from Nordstrom. No frills, beads, typcial jacket for me. Simply elegant. Sorry for not mentioning it sooner.

o

sounds like the perfect dress i always go for black first.... and my daughter changed her mind too adout the dress she also wants a more traditional wedding gown...that ok with me... i can get busy on my other projects.....take care...lois

o
how to crochet a hanger cover directly on the hanger

I want to cover some wire hangers with yarn to create a nice padded hanger. Most of the patterns make the piece first, and then sew it on to the hanger. Lion Brand has a free pattern for "Plush Hanger Cover- Chenille Thick & Quick Homespun", which is crochered directly on the hanger itself.( I Googled it to get the directions ) It simply says to "single crochet around the entire hanger...." It doesn't, however, tell you how to start, and I cannot figure out how to attach the yarn to the hanger to begin,or how to include the hanger in the crocheting as I go along! It must be so obvious to them, but not to me! Does anyone understand how to do this?

o

Bjames, make a slip knot just as if you were going to make a chain. With the loop on your hook (hold the wire hanger in your other hand) and the yarn going over the top of the wire, go under the wire and pull up a loop, then over the wire and pull up a loop, then pull the last loop through the first two loops. You are basically doing a single crochet around the wire. Continue around the wire until you've covered it. You can stop there or do something fancy for another row.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here