Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Need a project for whiling time babysitting

sheilajoyce_gw
16 years ago

I will babysit my 8 month old grandson next weekend in a hotel room in San Francisco while DD attends her ex roommate's rehearsal dinner and then the wedding and reception the next day. Soooo, I need to find a project or two to keep me busy while babysitting GS while he naps. Just can't seem to find something to tickle my fancy. Grrrrr.

Comments (7)

• threejsmom
    16 years ago

Maybe something small and not too complicated so you can stop and pick it up again easily. How about a hat for the little guy or some socks? Some handyed superwash merino sock yarn would keep a simple project interesting. If you want a bigger project, a felted bag using hand-dyed wool is also simple and fun.

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

I second the socks suggestion. My newest grandson was born 11 days ago and I overheard my daughter telling a friend who wanted to bring her a gift and asked if she could use baby socks, "Nah, my mom will make him all the socks he needs". You can whip out a pair in a couple of hours, and they are one of a kind.

• Carol_Ann
    16 years ago

I thought of socks, too... or Elizabeth Zimmerman's baby surprise jacket -- it looks like so much fun to knit! I'm going to have to make one soon, but I'll increase the size to fit a toddler. There are lots of great ideas for colors, too, if you google images "baby surprise jacket" or do the same on flickr.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: jared's version, baby surprise jacket

• sheilajoyce_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I saw that BSJ picture only recently and want to make it. Sadly, I won't have the pattern in time for the trip. Those blues and purples are gorgeous. Thanks for the name of the pattern.

• anne_b
    16 years ago

How about making something for yourself? Get some yummy yarn and knit a a pair of fingerless gloves - they are very IN this fall, and there are lots of free patterns on the net. Or a special scarf to dress up your favorite turtleneck? Sometimes we get so caught up in making stuff for others, we forget to treat ourselves ...

Whatever you decide, have fun with it!

Anne B

• profsusan
    16 years ago

I'm thinking practical also since you will probably be starting/stopping often so small items would be better. Socks are good as suggested but still require concentration. I'm thinking more mindless projects such as dishcloths, plastic bag holders, etc. I make many dishcloths each year and one year made about 20 plastic bag holders. May not be as interesting but will keep your hands busy and if you make mistakes no one would care. Of course, more booties for your GS would also be great; perhaps in a sneakers or cowboy boots pattern. Have fun.

• TommeCA
    16 years ago

Okay, so this isn't exactly what you had in mind, but why not put the little guy in his stroller and go visit a local yarn shop? I've never been (but it's on my list) to Art Fibers, but it's supposed be great and it's in downtown San Francisco at 124 Sutter St. You could also sneak in a visit to Britex Fabrics (located in the 100 block of Geary Street). Britex has four floors of wonderful fabrics and notions. (I almost always go to Britex to buy buttons for my completed knitted items - they have a huge selection.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Art Fibers Shop

Sponsored
More Discussions