Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Favorite yarn

jenn
16 years ago

I bought some cheap yarn and new needles today to learn how to knit again. Being new to this, I had thought that Lion Brand was very popular and available everywhere. The shop I went into today had very little Lion Brand. I bought two rolls (skein?) of Plymouth Jeannee(? -- the shop sticker covers most of the name). I plan to start with wash cloths and scarves.

What are some recommended brands to look for (and avoid)? I prefer machine washable and dryable.

Thanks

Jen

Comments (10)

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Jen, it is nearly impossible to pick just one or two favorite yarns. I like different yarns for different things. Even the dreaded "Fun Fur" is a dream to work with when I knit "No Hair Day" hats. Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton and the other cotton yarns are supposed to be great for washcloths, but I find them too bulky for my taste. I think I would try Lustersheen for those.

As for scarves, just about any yarn will work, depending on the type of pattern you will use. But it should be something soft (not scratchy). Many people don't like Lion Brand Microspun because it splits, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's the nature of the yarn. And it makes a super soft fabric that I love to touch. So does Paton's Carmen. In fact, I'm afraid to wear it, because I can't stop myself from constantly petting it. But if you are just learning, or learning again, it may be best to stick with a "regular yarn" like Red Heart Soft or something similar.

• socks
    16 years ago

The knit shops don't usually carry Lion Brand; it's found at Michaels hereabouts. I think it's a medium priced, good quality yarn offering lots of different choices.

• jenn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Donna, thanks so much for the suggestions. They make a great starting point to research and try some for myself.

Socks12345, I saw Lion Brand at a nice quilt shop on the CA coast... that's why I thought it would be a very popular yarn, possibly even a high-end yarn. I like a denim blue color I saw at Joann's... I ought to go back and nab it before it is gone.

• threejsmom
    16 years ago

The novelty yarns are tempting but if you are a beginner, they can drive you nuts. Many yarn stores carry higher end yarns but some good brands that are not expensive are Plymouth Encore and Cascade for superwash wool. Some stores will also have bargain bins with closeouts or odd balls and you can get the nice stuff for less. Eventually, check out internet stores like elann.com and Knitpicks.com for quality yarns at wholesale or closeout discount prices You don't always save money by buying budget yarns; some aren't fun to knit with and others don't hold up well.

• hannah_ma
    16 years ago

If you are learning to knit... yarn with out any fuss. Makes it easier to see the stitches

• LynneNY
    16 years ago

Jen - do you have an A.C.Moore near you? If so, they sometimes sell "mill ends" in 1 lb. bags. They have it in a large bin in our store. It's usually Caron's Simply Soft, and I got a wonderful denim color that I'm using to make my very first sweater. It usually goes for anywhere from $5.99 to $3.99 a bag, but if it's not on sale you can use their 40% off coupon. I am making an oversized sweater for myself, and so far have made the back, a sleeve and a front panel of the cardigan, and haven't used up 1 bag yet.

• jenn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much.

I checked out the web sites above (elann.com and KnitPicks.com)..... wow, so many beautiful yarns. I think a cotton or other washable fiber would be best to begin for washcloths and scarves.

I don't have an A.C. Moore nearby.

I plan to go shopping tomorrow to see what I can find locally and get a good idea of the look and feel of different types of yarn. This is going to be fun.

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Wish I could go with.

• sduck2
    16 years ago

Last year I taught myself to knit and started out with the "Booga Bag". It is made with Noro yarn that is beautiful. Noro has a few types from wool to silk and luckly this pattern calls for wool which is cheaper.

The bag is easy to knit (in the round) which means knitting around and around and around with circular needles. Then you wash it and it felts up. People were amazed I made it. Google "booga bag" for the free pattern.

• sandra_ferguson
    16 years ago

I always use wool...that way you can adjust the size of the finished product to make it whatever you want it to be...sweater a smidge too small? I dampen mine and, using push pins and the back of the spare room door, pin it to the size I want. Yarns with synthetic fibers stay the way they are...there's no 'forcing' them to be something other than what they want to be, as you can with wool.

Sponsored
More Discussions